Guardians of the Galaxy opens tomorrow, and Marvel feels confident enough in the film, which stars a talking tree and a raccoon with machine guns, that a sequel already has a release date. For now though, let's enjoy this video of "Groot" voice-actor Vin Diesel reciting the character's signature line in multiple languages.
"It's the first time I ever did a movie in multiple languages," Diesel told Jimmy Fallon during an interview on the subject.
Going back into a recording story to re-record dialog, in case it wasn't captured properly on set or to change things for different markets, is called "looping." In many cases soundalikes are brought in to save the cost of having to pay someone like George Clooney to spend a day or two saying a few lines.
In this case the character only says one line, with different inflections: "I am Groot." It was worth getting Diesel's signature growl in when it required relatively minimal time and work.
Oh, and he wore stilts to feel like a tree. Because actors.
Diesel showed off his ability to deliver the line in multiple ways on The Tonight Show.
This isn't Diesel's first spin around the world of voice acting, as he provided the voice of the robot in the criminally underrated Iron Giant. Still, this is interesting stuff and shows how much grunt work goes into the production of a huge, international film.
That pun was intentional, by the way. Soak it in.
- Obama says Sony shouldn't have pulled The Interview, promises 'response' to North Korea
- 2014 in review: Polygon's best reports cover war, flood, The Hobbit and Satan's schemings
- Minecraft creator Notch buys Beverly Hills mansion for record-setting $70M
- Hatred, free speech and one developer's connections with Poland's far right
- Best Buy offering $50 off PS4 and Xbox One
- What are your top 25 games of all-time?
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Wonderful Korratime (Friday, Dec. 19)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 3, No. 4.1 - 'Tis the Week Before...
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Next Time (Thursday, Dec. 18)
- Pokémon Discussions - Primal Evolution Ain't Cheap
- The Ending of Dragon Age: Inquisition (!Spoilers obviously!)
- Some PSP/ PS1 games listed as compatible for PStv in USA but not in EU/AUS... why? :(
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 3, No. 4 - Mercs and White Collars
- Why We Shouldn't Try to Stop "Hatred"?
- Getting the best picture out of retro game consoles