I owned an original Game Boy.
I was 3 when Nintendo released their first handheld system. My family reached into our savings to buy one. My mother loved Tetris; my father loved me being quiet on summer road trips. Built to withstand nuclear fallout and the grimy hands of a child, the machine still helps pass a couple hours on visits home. Safe to say, we got our money's worth.
Now I watch this video and I see kids who are the same age I was on those road trips. They look at the plastic brick and they wonder what it is or what it does. Is it an MP3? No, it's not an MP3!
I am old. My parents and I don't take road trips anymore, because I have to work and pay for rent and food and bathroom cleaner. This morning, I unclogged my shower, plucking the mushy wad of hair that's fallen out of my head from the drain and tossing it in the toilet. What hair remains on my head is going gray, like my grandfather who also went gray in his late 20s. One day, I'll be the same age as my grandfather, and I'll look at kids watching videos of YouTube streamed into their digital eye-implants. They'll wonder what the hell they're looking at and I'll be like, "It's YouTube you bloody whippersnappers," and then I'll plug into YouthSimulator 2044, where I can play my Pokémon on my Game Boy, assuming I still remember what either of those things are.
- Watch what Grand Theft Auto 4's killer PC mod does for its original trailer
- The man who made Atari's E.T. names his worst video game of all time
- GOG.com accidentally gives away thousands of games
- Game of Thrones' Maisie Williams in talks for The Last of Us movie
- Wii version of Skylanders Trap Team bundled with Wii U download code
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27
- Tell Us Your Story
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- What Last-Gen Game Do You Want Remade For Next-Gen?
- Women in Games: A Reaction
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri July 25
- DESTINY disappointment?