2K Australia is the lead developer on The Pre-Sequel, which takes place between the original Borderlands and Borderlands 2. Gearbox Software, the creator of the series, is providing assistance on the title. The Pre-Sequel is set for release Oct. 14 on PlayStation 3, Windows PC and Xbox 360.
When Gearbox originally announced the game this past April, studio head Randy Pitchford said it was being developed on old consoles because of the massive install base that the PS3 and Xbox 360 have, and because it's using older technology: the Borderlands 2 engine. But the platforms aren't set in stone, and according to 2K officials, current-generation ports of The Pre-Sequel could depend largely on the game's success.
"If fans say, 'Hey, we'd really like this on a next-gen console,' well, we'll think about that," said Tony Lawrence, studio head at 2K Australia, to Gamereactor TV.
"We'll see how people react to the game, how much fun they have and whether or not everybody moves on to the next gen fully next year," added Matt Armstrong, franchise director for Borderlands at Gearbox. Armstrong noted that the entire Borderlands fan base currently exists only on the older systems and PC, so the idea of "requiring people to buy new hardware to play the middle [game in] a trilogy ... feels a little disingenuous."
For more on Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, check out our preview from E3.
- No skin thick enough: The daily harassment of women in the game industry
- The studio that made Tony Hawk's Pro Skater closed, here's its billion-dollar story
- Dark Souls 2: Crown of the Sunken King review: return of the king
- How the Model T convinced Nvidia to build a gaming-focused tablet
- Here's what Valve's canned project Prospero might have looked like
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 22
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Thoughts on Destiny
- Yakuza 5 (Ryū ga Gotoku 5) Fan Translation Gone?
- Standby Or Off On PS4
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 22