Ken Levine still wishes that he could do a BioShock game on the PlayStation Vita, according to a series of recent tweets from the game designer, outlining that he envisioned a Final Fantasy Tactics-style game set in pre-fall Rapture.
Levine tweeted that Sony and developer Irrational Games' parent publisher 2K Games couldn't put a deal together when he "last checked" and that the two companies "seemed way more optimistic about this back in 2011." He added that he wished he could undertake the project himself "but lawyers and all that. I still love my Vita."
When asked what he had in mind for BioShock Vita, Levine wrote that he was considering a pre-fall Rapture setting with the style of the Final Fantasy Tactics series, a tactical role-playing franchise that traditionally features turn-based combat on isometric battlefields. Ultimately, Levine wanted a game that would translate well on the Vita while not being "a compromise in any way."
on the Vita game: 2k and sony couldn't put a deal together when I last checked. They seemed way more optimistic about this back in 2011.— Ken Levine (@IGLevine) July 8, 2014
something that would work well on the vita and not be a compromise in any way. also, as some know, i'm a turn based whore.— Ken Levine (@IGLevine) July 8, 2014
Last July, Levine revealed that he was still actively pushing for a PS Vita BioShock game and that he had spoken with both Sony and 2K Games about the project. Levine stated at the time that he was trying to get both companies to sign off on the project.
The game was first announced during Sony's E3 2011 press conference as an original title set in the BioShock universe. Levine told Polygon in February of last year that the PS Vita BioShock game was in the hands of "business guys" and that there was no progress on the title.
- Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell sends the Saints to Hell in 2015
- Nintendo reveals the New Nintendo 3DS
- Help us choose the best reader-designed Sunset Overdrive character
- The New Nintendo 3DS is everything fun, exhausting, about Nintendo's strategy
- Peggle 2 is coming to PlayStation 4
- Is Activision pondering a Take-Two takeover?
- More Dragon Quest games heading to mobile, including the original, very soon
- Themes are coming to Nintendo 3DS to make your old 3DS prettier
- Super Meat Boy Forever is an endless platformer, not a little 'throwaway game'
- Ambitious, beautiful multiplayer space combat game GoD Factory: Wingmen launches today
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 29
- Calling all first team Polygon staff to the Set!
- Help Nipah build a PC
- Woady Reviews Anime: Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- how do i cross save olliolli from Vita to ps4
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Dancing Plante - Thu Aug 28
- Favorite "Bad" Game
- Nintendo Customer Service
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (August 2014)