Ken Levine still wishes that he could do a BioShock game on the PlayStation Vita, according to a series of recent tweets from the game designer, outlining that he envisioned a Final Fantasy Tactics-style game set in pre-fall Rapture.
Levine tweeted that Sony and developer Irrational Games' parent publisher 2K Games couldn't put a deal together when he "last checked" and that the two companies "seemed way more optimistic about this back in 2011." He added that he wished he could undertake the project himself "but lawyers and all that. I still love my Vita."
When asked what he had in mind for BioShock Vita, Levine wrote that he was considering a pre-fall Rapture setting with the style of the Final Fantasy Tactics series, a tactical role-playing franchise that traditionally features turn-based combat on isometric battlefields. Ultimately, Levine wanted a game that would translate well on the Vita while not being "a compromise in any way."
on the Vita game: 2k and sony couldn't put a deal together when I last checked. They seemed way more optimistic about this back in 2011.— Ken Levine (@IGLevine) July 8, 2014
something that would work well on the vita and not be a compromise in any way. also, as some know, i'm a turn based whore.— Ken Levine (@IGLevine) July 8, 2014
Last July, Levine revealed that he was still actively pushing for a PS Vita BioShock game and that he had spoken with both Sony and 2K Games about the project. Levine stated at the time that he was trying to get both companies to sign off on the project.
The game was first announced during Sony's E3 2011 press conference as an original title set in the BioShock universe. Levine told Polygon in February of last year that the PS Vita BioShock game was in the hands of "business guys" and that there was no progress on the title.
- Persona 5 coming to PS3 and PS4 in 2015
- Madden 15's outspoken cover star loses with grace in his very first game
- Nearly 1K developers sign letter to end intolerance in the games community
- How a video game helped save my sanity
- Resident Evil Revelations 2 coming 'early 2015'
- Is Telltale teasing the setting for its new Game of Thrones series?
- Dragon Quest 7 3DS remake may not be worth the cost for Square to translate
- Final Fantasy Type-0 HD is a mature, 'true remaster' of the original game
- See how World of Warcraft's other side lives
- Saints Row developer: 'Sarkeesian is right'
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Looking for good JRPGs on PS3, help needed
- Woady Reviews Anime: Whisper of the Heart
- Thoughts on the inaccurate sensor bar
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Reconsidering Columbine