With an aim to offer better pre-order exclusives to consumers in the future, GameStop is looking at getting involved earlier in a game's development to help secure better pre-order exclusives, the company confirmed to GamesBeat.
"We are working with our [development] partners to build in a longer lead time," GameStop public-relations spokesperson Jackie Smith told GamesBeat. "And we are working with them to get both physical and digital exclusives for our customers."
GameStop was unable to clarify if the strategy will lead to physical or digital exclusives as it is in its early stages, adding that having knowledge of a game in-development could give the company "more leverage to negotiate better exclusives."
News of the GameStop's intentions were first revealed when analyst Colin Sebastian from investment company R.W. Baird spoke to the retailer about finding new ways to offer consumers better content when they pre-order games.
"[GamesStop] indicated that software publishers are more enthusiastic about partnering with it," Sebastian wrote in a note to investors. "For example, by offering exclusive content on each major game release, and longer term, future models may include GameStop offering exclusive gameplay."
He told GamesBeat that the GameSpot was "getting involved at the time of game development where there could be some content exclusive to [the retailer] included in the game."
The retailer recently announced the "GameStop Technology Institute," a partnership with IBM and the retail studies department of Texas A&M's business school, to develop new consumer experiences. For instance, via an optional GameStop app installed on smartphones devices, sales staff will know the person's name, purchase history and platforms of choice and make buying suggestions based on that data. This will include suggestions on upcoming titles in the same genre or downloadable content for a game already purchased.
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- Pokégon Daily Open Thread - Tue Aug 19
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 16.2: Chris Houlihan was here. Shhhhhhhhhh, its a secret to everyone.
- The Last of Us 2 for PS4?
- What "Console Wars" taught me about myself and being a fanboy
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- Share your treasured Pokémon stories with us
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (August 2014)
- Pokégon Daily Open Thread - Mon Aug 18