Dwarf Fortress received its first major update in two years, according to the release notes for version 0.40.01 posted on developer Bay 12 Games' website this week.
The "world activation release" brings new features like birth, invasions and succession and much more to the ASCII text-based world building game, fully titled Slaves to Armok: God of Blood Chapter 2: Dwarf Fortress. Other features include the abilities to travel through tunnels and retire and "unretire" fortresses, which could mean that players need to conquer their abandoned fortresses to reclaim them.
"Getting all of that to work led to a meandering route through various pieces of the game, some of which are described below," the developer wrote referring to the release notes. "Aside from any bugginess, a lot of it will still feel rough and unfinished as things bump around."
- How a video game helped save my sanity
- Dragon Quest Heroes brings the series back to PlayStation in Dynasty Warriors style
- The New Nintendo 3DS is everything fun, exhausting, about Nintendo's strategy
- Persona 5 coming to PS3 and PS4 in 2015
- Disgaea 5, Earth Defense Force, Ys, Gundam and Senran Kagura coming to PS4