Borderlands creator Gearbox Software will release a new "hero shooter" called Battleborn that will combine first-person shooting with co-op combat, the developer announced today.
Battleborn is: FPS; hobby-grade coop campaign; genre-blended, multi-mode competitive e-sports; meta-growth, choice + epic Battleborn Heroes!— Randy Pitchford (@DuvalMagic) July 8, 2014
The game is set in the distant future, where "the only hope for the last star in a dying universe is a new breed of warriors who must put aside their differences to drive back an unstoppable menace." Battleborn will feature a variety of playable heroes in a narrative-drive, co-op campaign, as well as competitive multiplayer matches. Gearbox Software president Randy Pitchford calls the game a "hero-shooter," as opposed to Borderlands 2's style of "shooter-looter."
"As a genre-fused, hobby-grade, co-operative and competitive FPS exploding with eye-popping style and an imaginative universe, Battleborn is the most ambitious video game that Gearbox has ever created," Pitchford said.
Battleborn will launch for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Windows PC in 2015. The game is available for pre-order now.
- Divinity: Original Sin review: next to godliness
- Police investigating Comic-Con cosplay assault, photographer arrested
- PlayStation Now rentals cost $2.99 for four hours play, but everything could be changing
- Gearbox fights back in Aliens suit, says it paid millions of its own cash to finish game
- Sharknado: The Video Game lays waste to Manhattan, iOS, common sense
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 31
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Tell Us Your Story
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (July 2014)
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 30
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward