The the open-galaxy space exploration game isn't about pairing players up like massively multiplayer online games, but that doesn't mean it's devoid of those concepts. "This is not a game about forming a clan or allegiances, right?" Murray said. "But it has some MMO-esque mechanics, I guess."
Players may be scattered to all corners of the galaxy, bumping into each other as they explore, but Hello Games also plans to include a more familiar multiplayer component.
"There is this thing, which I'm not going to talk about now, that is a plan for multiplayer and for people to have a more traditional multiplayer experience within the game," he said. "And that's something that we'll deal with further down the line that is exciting. But that is not what's core to the game right now."
For more on what you'll do in No Man's Sky, be sure to read our E3 2014 in-depth coverage, which includes an interview with the developer.
- Win a one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- Notorious Airbnb squatter may be the dev behind two flailing Kickstarter games
- Report: Google to acquire Twitch for $1 billion
- Here is why you probably won't get into the LittleBigPlanet 3 private beta this August
- Sunset Overdrive's character customization is serious business
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Deals With Gold Weekly(?) Update
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Why you don't like this headline: Here's how a change in style guide might just be the most clicked click thing you've clicked today
- PS4 Beta Codes