The the open-galaxy space exploration game isn't about pairing players up like massively multiplayer online games, but that doesn't mean it's devoid of those concepts. "This is not a game about forming a clan or allegiances, right?" Murray said. "But it has some MMO-esque mechanics, I guess."
Players may be scattered to all corners of the galaxy, bumping into each other as they explore, but Hello Games also plans to include a more familiar multiplayer component.
"There is this thing, which I'm not going to talk about now, that is a plan for multiplayer and for people to have a more traditional multiplayer experience within the game," he said. "And that's something that we'll deal with further down the line that is exciting. But that is not what's core to the game right now."
For more on what you'll do in No Man's Sky, be sure to read our E3 2014 in-depth coverage, which includes an interview with the developer.
- Xbox Live and PSN still recovering from the holiday, potential attacks
- The hacker war that may decide whether console gamers can play online Christmas Day (update)
- The Interview was pirated more than 750,000 times in its first day of release
- A Super Smash Bros-style Hunger Games makes a lot of sense
- Polygon's Games of the Year 2014 #7: Far Cry 4
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 3, No 5- Terror and Mystery in the Western Frontier
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Boxed Day (Friday, Dec. 26)
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: 2463 (Thursday, Dec. 25)
- Toradora Christmas Club
- Pokémon Discussions - Primal Evolution Ain't Cheap
- Clans of Polygon: What's going on in Destiny? (Nov - Dec)
- Polygon Daily: Off-Topic: T'was the Eve Before Christmas ( Wed 24/12 )
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 3, No. 4.1 - 'Tis the Week Before...
- What are your top 25 games of all-time?
- Forbes: You Don't Have To Kill Prostitutes In 'GTA V'