The the open-galaxy space exploration game isn't about pairing players up like massively multiplayer online games, but that doesn't mean it's devoid of those concepts. "This is not a game about forming a clan or allegiances, right?" Murray said. "But it has some MMO-esque mechanics, I guess."
Players may be scattered to all corners of the galaxy, bumping into each other as they explore, but Hello Games also plans to include a more familiar multiplayer component.
"There is this thing, which I'm not going to talk about now, that is a plan for multiplayer and for people to have a more traditional multiplayer experience within the game," he said. "And that's something that we'll deal with further down the line that is exciting. But that is not what's core to the game right now."
For more on what you'll do in No Man's Sky, be sure to read our E3 2014 in-depth coverage, which includes an interview with the developer.
- Accused Airbnb squatter: 'Would squat again'
- The 'Mad Max: Fury Road' trailer is the most impressive thing to come out of Comic-Con
- San Diego Comic-Con 2014: All the news from pop culture's biggest event
- The man who made Atari's E.T. names his worst video game of all time
- Lucy Lawless: New Wonder Woman looks like 'Xena meets Spartacus'
More from Polygon
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Really Horrible
- Tell Us Your Story
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Women in Games: A Reaction
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today