The digital-only business philosophy that Riot Games has adopted for the multiplayer online battle arena game League of Legends means that a sequel will never be on the cards, a company representative told Polygon today.
Despite the international success of League of Legends, the game will continue to provide patches and updates in the place of full scale sequels, with plans to continue this business strategy over a period of decades. "I want my great grand-children playing this game," said senior environment artist Brent Critchfield to us in Los Angeles this week.
This runs in the face of other online-only games, including Blizzard's Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls which released as a boxed expansion, as opposed to an update for the game. Unlike Blizzard, a retail community does not fully exist for Riot Games, whose first and only release League of Legends launched for free online in 2009.
While a sequel is not on the cards, it's likely that the company will eventually bring out new IP, the Riot representative continued. So far the company has remained mum on any future titles. The game remains extremely popular for the game studio, with over 27 million users playing LoL on a daily basis, as of earlier this year.This number is more than double its last figure of 12 million, announced in October 2012.
- How a video game helped save my sanity
- In Firewatch, the job isn't to keep the wilderness from burning down
- The New Nintendo 3DS is everything fun, exhausting, about Nintendo's strategy
- Tearaway started life as a fleshy finger game
- Longtime Castlevania producer leaves Konami
- Nintendo reveals the New Nintendo 3DS
- Grand Theft Auto 5's PC version will get an updated soundtrack
- Tales from the Borderlands lets you stop and smell the chaotic roses
- Hironobu Sakaguchi wanted Chrono Trigger to evolve in a series 'like a Final Fantasy'
- Help Nipah build a PC
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Help Nipah build a PC
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Woady Reviews Anime: Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse
- Favorite "Bad" Game
- Stronger distinction of Recommended posts/comments
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- I'm going to make an AMV...and I need your help.
- How's this PC for next gen?
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall