The digital-only business philosophy that Riot Games has adopted for the multiplayer online battle arena game League of Legends means that a sequel will never be on the cards, a company representative told Polygon today.
Despite the international success of League of Legends, the game will continue to provide patches and updates in the place of full scale sequels, with plans to continue this business strategy over a period of decades. "I want my great grand-children playing this game," said senior environment artist Brent Critchfield to us in Los Angeles this week.
This runs in the face of other online-only games, including Blizzard's Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls which released as a boxed expansion, as opposed to an update for the game. Unlike Blizzard, a retail community does not fully exist for Riot Games, whose first and only release League of Legends launched for free online in 2009.
While a sequel is not on the cards, it's likely that the company will eventually bring out new IP, the Riot representative continued. So far the company has remained mum on any future titles. The game remains extremely popular for the game studio, with over 27 million users playing LoL on a daily basis, as of earlier this year.This number is more than double its last figure of 12 million, announced in October 2012.
- What does it really cost to open an indie studio? All your money, most of your life
- Divinity: Original Sin review: next to godliness
- If Sony wants PlayStation Now to succeed, it has to treat us better than GameStop
- How well does PlayStation Now work on PS4?
- Police: San Diego Comic-Con cosplayer wasn't assaulted, she fell
- Sonic fan art expert rates the pornographic potential for Sonic Boom cast
- X-Men, Pacific Rim and virtual tornadoes: How Hollywood used Oculus Rift at Comic-Con
- How to lose a game of Stronghold Crusader 2
- This fan-made Super Smash Bros. trailer is amazing ... and a little creepy
- Rogue Legacy - Overview video
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 31
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- What games on the Hype Train exceeded your expectations?
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Do you often read the reviews after finishing a game?
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (July 2014)
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- What's your favorite silly game?