The complicated narrative of the Kingdom Hearts franchise isn't lost on co-director Tai Yasue, who recently told Polygon that one of the most important parts of Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 Remix is to refresh players on the story.
Kingdom Hearts 2.5 is a follow-up to last year's bundle, Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix. Like the previous compilation, 2.5 packages games from several platforms into one title; it will include Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix and Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep Final Mix, as well as cutscenes from Kingdom Hearts Re:coded.
Speaking with Polygon, Yasue said that it works as a way to both recruit new players and help prepare those returning for the series' next big game, Kingdom Hearts 3.
"I think it's really accessible for the younger generation, [but] story-wise, it's a bit complex," Yasue said. "By having 1.5 and 2.5, I think it will be easier to play Kingdom Hearts 3 and understand that story. We wanted the players to experience that in HD and relearn it and re-experience it."
The original game was released nearly 12 years ago, while key narrative title Birth By Sleep — essentially the franchise's origin story — saw a release on handheld devices. For players to get a deeper understanding of Kingdom Hearts 3, they'll need to know the many connections between each entry.
"As a developer myself, you start to forget what happened," Yasue said. "There are so many [games]. In a way, it's a learning experience for us too."
- Game of Thrones' Maisie Williams in talks for The Last of Us movie
- Proof '90s kids playing video games are cooler than kids today
- Win a trip to California and one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- Eve's new executive producer has a plan to attract new players with the help of old ones
- Street Fighter: World Warrior live action series in development
More from Polygon
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri July 25
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Tell Us Your Story
- A New Steam Controller
- What's your favorite silly game?