Here's a quick pic (from my phone with a filter applied, so there is color shifting) of an experiment I tried a while back. The goal: to find a good way to paint and 'finish' objects that I or others may want customized. Basically, I wanted to be able to custom paint and then seal with a 'factory' like finish anything from electronics to furniture, and what better thing to experiment on than a 3DS.
For this project I was trying paint pens for the very first time, as well and a finishing process I hadn't tried before. Since this, I've moved to brushes (allows for mush better detail and shading possibilities) and have mastered the finishing process (glossy smooth baby!), but I'm sharing this pic because I mentioned it in a comment and someone asked to see it. If I had a pic handy of my Astro's that I painted I would actually post those instead, the finish is much nicer, even thou I was still using the paint pens at that time. So many disclaimers! Yes, because I actually don't like the paint job enough to really be showing it to be honest :(
Anywho, enough babble here's the pic: