I DID IT!!!

On Saturday night, I finally overcame a challenge that has haunted me for 15 years; I completed the Water Temple in Ocarina of Time.

When I was a kid, OoT was one of my favorite games EVER. I played that game religiously, even though I wasn't great at it. I was chugging along, making steady progress, having a good time...until I hit the Water Temple. That dungeon broke me; even with a strategy guide, I could barely figure out what to do. Still, I managed to get part-way through, up to the point of getting the Longshot; all I needed was the Big Key, and I was home free.

But somewhere down the line I had missed a small key. Just one. Hidden somewhere in the temple where I couldn't find it. And I looked everywhere. Even with the Compass, I couldn't figure it out. The Big Key was locked away, just out of my reach, and I couldn't get to it. After many weekends of frustration and beating my head against the wall, trying to figure it out, I gave up. I put OoT away and never played it again.

The failure stung. Everybody I knew had beaten the game. Hell, even my brother, who is 6 years younger than me, eventually picked the game up and beat it. But I couldn't. Try as I might, I couldn't manage it. Eventually, I just moved on to other games and tried to forget. But it always gnawed at me, knowing that I had come so close to the end but couldn't finish.

Last weekend, I picked up my copy of OoT 3D again. I hadn't played it in a while, but I had to hang around someplace on Saturday with nothing better to do, so I started in again, cleared the Fire Temple with minimal effort, and spent the rest of the time getting Biggoron's Sword and all the heart pieces I could find at the time. I did everything I could find to do, short of going to the next Temple. I was dragging my feet. So that night, I steeled myself and took the plunge (literally).

I blew through the Water Temple in about an hour. Suddenly, every puzzle that had baffled me as a kid made perfect, easy sense. I breezed through it, and even found the key that had evaded me all those years ago. I finished it, and laughed like a madman for about 5 solid minutes. It was bloody glorious.

X

forgot?

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

Spinner

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_5353_tracker