I Feel Like I'm Missing Something...

I'm confused.

No, seriously, I'm genuinely confused.

There's been many games over the past several months that have involved lots of violence, lots of brutality, and yet Bioshock Infinite is the first one that makes some of us go, "whoa... too much". What? Okay, I realize the whole idea where you can use the Skyhook as quite the lethal weapon, but... it's a tool that allows you to attach to rails, and hooks all across Columbia. It needs to be powerful enough to pull your weight along these rails. It's gonna have some nasty power to it.

That said, I guess it's mostly due to the initial setting. Then again, I suppose Bioshock got a free pass because it was sold up as a dark shooter. What about Dishonored? Does that get a pass because he's an assassin? Or hell, some of the stuff in Assassins Creed 3? Or Far Cry 3? Hell, what about Tomb Raider? What does Bioshock Infinite do, that none of these other titles do that makes it so that the violence stands out more?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a guy that would have initially cringed at the notion of some of the stuff you can do in Infinite. But I actually have more of an issue with the Vigors themselves and the nasty stuff they do to your hands when you first get them (the Devil's Kiss vigor... oh god... that was nasty as hell... hur hur). But, I chalk that up to the fact that that's just how the game is. Were people bothered when you could the dark energy Gravity Gun near the end of Half Life 2 and you essentially desintegrate enemies? Not really, no.

What I REALLY want to know, is:

What's Bioshock Infinite doing differently that makes it so that people would genuinely have a problem with the violence that most other games have typically done in some fashion for just as long, and no one seems fazed by them? Critic me all you want, I'd prefer to know more. Maybe I'm missing something as well, I just don't see it.

X

forgot?

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.
Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_5353_tracker