Digital Upgrade Free

I haven't seen this reported on Polygon before.

http://www.destinythegame.com/digital-upgrade

Q. When I buy/redeem the Destiny Digital Base Game, Digital Guardian Edition, or Expansion Pass for PlayStation 3, how do I get the free PlayStation 4 version?

A: When you buy/redeem the Destiny Digital Base Game, Digital Guardian Edition, or Expansion Pass on or before January 15th, 2015, you can download the PlayStation 4 version from the PlayStation Store for free by doing the following:

1. Log into your PlayStation 4 using the same Sony Entertainment Network Account (PSN ID) used to buy/redeem the Destiny digital content on PlayStation 3.
  2. Navigate to the Destiny content page or search for the corresponding item you purchased previously on PlayStation
  3. Add the item to your cart and complete the transaction.
  4. Wait for the download to complete.

Note: Expansion Pass content (which includes Expansions I and II) will only be available for full download once released.

Q. When I download the free PlayStation 4 version(s), will I still be able to play it on PlayStation 3?

A: Yes. Your Sony Entertainment Network Account (PSN ID) will retain licenses for both consoles.

This is total news to me.

The kicker, and this puts Destiny back on my wishlist:

Q. Will my Guardians, progress, stats, and gear carry over when I download and play the next-gen version?

A: Yes. Whether you participate in this program or not, your Guardians, progress, stats, and gear are shared within a console family (PlayStation®3<->PlayStation®4 or Xbox 360<->Xbox One) and will be waiting for you when you transition to next-gen.