Front page reshuffle, and tags

I wanted to make a suggestion/request for the front page. Currently, I think the front page shows too few articles at first glance when you load it, and requires too much scrolling for my liking to see recent news articles. Quite often I've missed fairly important posts (and judging by the tiny comment counts vs features or The Verge articles, so have a lot of other people) because they are quickly bumped a few rows down the page as more articles arrive. Unless they are deemed worthy of a spot in the top three featured articles section, they're lost forever.

I get that the top row of 2 or 3 features looks nice, and it would be a pain to redo that to show more stuff. So short of changing that to fit more articles (which would still be welcome, if you want to do that) I'd like to propose something else. The space directly under these features seems to go straight to what looks like a list of the most recent articles posted, or some kind of hybrid with more popular stuff further to the top, I'm not sure. The first three articles seem to be presented in single rows, with some space for an advertisement as well. This means when viewing Polygon's home screen on an average sized monitor or browser window, you see a grand total of four articles without having to scroll further - the top three featured articles, plus the most recent (I think) article below them. This doesn't really make sense to me, and like I mentioned, everything else ends up getting lost. I really like the three-columns-with-the-odd-full-width-image layout you see once you scroll further, and that is fairly easy to scan for stuff you want to see. TL;DR: I'd like to see the three column layout used straight away underneath the top features and menu bar - it would mean you see more articles in a single glance before scrolling further.

Also, I'd love to see tags at the bottom of articles for fast navigation to similar topics or regular series. Are there any plans for this? I guess the Recent News sidebar thing is supposed to do that a bit, but it doesn't really float my boat, and seems to have less functionality. There's also the Story Stream, but that doesn't appear to be used for all articles.

X

forgot?

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_5353_tracker