Danielle Riendeau, Polygon's new Senior Reviewer

Screen_shot_2013-03-04_at_1

Why, hello there.

My name is Danielle, and I’m all but bursting with excitement to announce that I’m the new Senior Reviewer! I’ll be working primarily with Arthur and Phil, evaluating the awesomeness (or lack thereof) of the latest releases.

Becoming a full time writer has been a long, strange, and mostly wonderful journey. I come to Polygon by way of the nonprofit world and the academic world, by way of film school and my stint as an Emergency Medical Technician. Let’s just say I have a wide range of interests, and I could totally give you CPR and a lecture on interactive storytelling best practices at the same time.

I used to work at one of the more controversial non-profits, so I’ve seriously seen the best hate mail in the world. One dude even sent in a painting – I’m talking full canvas treatment here – of a number of staff members marching through the fires of hell on brimstone rocks, led by the grim reaper himself. Amazing stuff.

I’ve been freelancing – mostly about games, but also about movies, music, etc. for about seven years now. If you’ve read my work, it was probably at Kill Screen, G4, or the dearly departed GameShark.com. If you squint really hard, you can find bits of my work at The Escapist, Joystiq and EGM, and even at such diverse and awesome publications as Bitch Magazine and AfterEllen.com.

As fun and fascinating as that was, I couldn’t be more excited about the chance to focus on games full time. I live and breathe game design, teaching the subject in my spare time and generally living in awe of development teams who get it "right". My approach to criticism is organic – I try to accurately balance gut feelings with the headier evaluation of mechanics and aesthetics, and I’m equally drawn to rough-but-interesting games and perfectly polished ones.

In terms of gaming tastes – I like pretty much everything (more accurately – I could like anything in any genre), and I enjoy weird little indie experiments as much as a nice, bombastic FPS or a solid story-based experience. Mind you, I don’t pretend to have equal skill in all genres, just a wide-open mind and a serious appreciation for strong, interesting design choices.

I invite you to follow my musings on Twitter at @Danielleri, and I look forward to a future of vigorous discussions with you all!

X

forgot?

Please choose a new Polygon username and password

As part of the new Polygon launch, prior users will need to choose a permanent username, along with a new password.

Your username will be used to login to Polygon going forward.

I already have a Vox Media account!

Verify Vox Media account

Please login to your Vox Media account. This account will be linked to your previously existing Eater account.

Please choose a new Polygon username and password

As part of the new Polygon launch, prior MT authors will need to choose a new username and password.

Your username will be used to login to Polygon going forward.

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.
Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_5353_tracker