Subjectivity in reviews and the influence they hold

Taken from the Bayonetta 2 comment train, upon recommendation.

Shaun:

But then it becomes writing about what people want to see, and not what the reviewer wants to express based upon their time with the game. Ethically, you’re looking him to be truthful in his observations and this review, and all others, exemplifies that 100%.

The context for this comment is the discussion about the power Arthur Gies holds over the people reading his review of Bayonetta, and the responsibility that that implies.

I don't want any hate, and I'm sure the moderators will police this effectively. I'm not creating a thread (my first thread here!) just to repeat the tired circle of debate that's going around Twitter and in the Bayonetta review comment train itself. I'm here for a meta-discussion on the subject of how Polygon could improve on their reviews.

What the reviewer should express, I feel, is a nuanced outlook on the game that notes his own personal qualms but ultimately strives to provide a fair view of the game. The reviewer not liking the sexualisation doesn't mean that the sexualisation is in itself bad - but that's how the article phrases it throughout. He's imposing his own personal worldview on a qualitative review of a product that will influence sales. Heck, it'll influence how Polygon is viewed with regards to what they focus on in their game reviews (Shadow of Mordor had a similar case in which there was an article debating the ethics of sneaking up behind your wife to kiss here, something I consider perfectly normal. I'm not invested in Bayonetta, so I'm trying to not comment on the specifics there).

Even if it's something as simple as "I really don't like the sexualisation, and this could colour my review of this game even though it's a personal dislike - your mileage may vary". But don't make it a running theme of the article. I've moderated a lot of forums in my time, I've done a fair share of announcements and wordcraft on the behalf of games developers. You may consider this mindless nitpicking that leads to emotionless reviews, or disclaimers for common sense, but I consider it an important aspect of managing your readers' expectations.

Have at me :D