Polygon's policy on criticism of it's own content and bans.

I would like to bring up a certain concern, in the most appropriate place that I could find, about Polygon's policy of hiding criticism of it's content through bans and deleted comments. This came to my attention when I saw a ban message at the bottom of a comment section, and quickly did a brief investigation. Turns out I haven't been banned as far as I'm aware, but a comment was deleted where I suggested this site presents an elevated sense of credibility, one that it perhaps doesn't back up with it's content. I've made a similar complaint in the past, without trying to be (too) inflammatory, and that too was swept under the rug.

The nature of the criticism is besides the point, though I'll fill in my opinion if pushed. The important thing is that these were criticisms between on-topic comments that were shut down because they were directed at Polygon. A quick search for the words 'banned from Polygon' revealed this is somewhat of a theme.

This tweet is one example, among others, with stories of complaints about perceived bias etc. as well. There is an extensive post on Giantbomb regarding the this issue, which I wont link. (Please edit if you don't allow other site names)

I raise these concerns because I don't particularly feel it's in Polygons best interests to close it's ears to it's readers, and request they revise their policy of banning users for this kind of thing. My greatest respect goes towards the community management at Polygon. I've often tired to balanced criticism with compliments towards the way this site handles community in the comment sections, and I'm sure staff and moderators are reluctant to open the floodgates to trolls, but what I would suggest is that you direct users to a more appropriate forum of complaint (perhaps this one), and encourage feedback on content in a way that is advantageous both to the community and to the staff.

It is my hope that this thread does not get deleted or go ignored, and instead I'd like to open this to a constructive discussion about how the community can offer legitimate feedback on what we read. If all goes well this could serve as a place to constructively criticise content. Polygon very clearly aspires to a high standard so please, lets start here.

PS: Here is Polygon's current Community Guidelines, which I've posted here because clearly they are relevant. The primary concern is quoted further below.

X

forgot?

Please choose a new Polygon username and password

As part of the new Polygon launch, prior users will need to choose a permanent username, along with a new password.

Your username will be used to login to Polygon going forward.

I already have a Vox Media account!

Verify Vox Media account

Please login to your Vox Media account. This account will be linked to your previously existing Eater account.

Please choose a new Polygon username and password

As part of the new Polygon launch, prior MT authors will need to choose a new username and password.

Your username will be used to login to Polygon going forward.

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.
Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_5353_tracker