'Goodbye Polygon,' said Frushtick

wMwdnjR.0.png

In what may come as a surprise to some people, today is my last day working at Polygon.

Why am I leaving?

Well, honestly, I'm ready. I've decided to take a break from doing the full-time games media work. I've been doing this for more than 12 years and it has vacillated from being exciting to being enraging but, overall, it has been a dream job and I consider myself extremely lucky to have started when I did.

But, there comes a day when you feel like you're not learning as much as you were, or you're not conquering as many new challenges as you used to. Even with awesome, amazing jobs like this, there comes a time when you feel like you need to try something fresh. Something new. That's been buzzing in my ear for the last few months and, as of two weeks ago, I let my boss, Chris Grant, know that I was taking the leap. (He was super cool about it, by the way.)

This shouldn't be taken as a disparagement of Polygon or the amazing team that works here. I am constantly in awe of the talent and dedication on this team and consider many of them life-long friends. Absolutely the hardest part of the decision was having to give up working with this fantastic group on a daily basis.

Without belaboring the point, building Polygon has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life and I couldn't be prouder of the site that I'm now leaving.

The same goes for Vox Media, which continues to do amazing things both on the technological side and on the journalistic side. I still have extremely high expectations for a company that was considerably smaller when I joined two-and-a-half years ago.

You may continue to see my byline or my face here and there on the internet-at-large, and you'll certainly continue to see me complain about things on Twitter, so don't consider this goodbye. Really, it's just hello in another language. (That sounded deeper in my head.)

Russ

PS - For those that care, we'll still do an August episode of Besties in early September with the whole gang. Where will it go from there? That's someone else's job to figure out!