MLP Episode 301 and 302 Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

OK folks, new episode just aired. I figured we could use a centralized place to discuss it.

So, what do you all think? Did you enjoy it? Hate it? Wish Rarity had more screen time?

Here's my thoughts on it.

The Good

Animation was really good. It's definitely improved since last season.

Rarity was hilarious. Every line of hers was pure gold.

It had some great imagery. Celestia and her hate magic, The Mane 6 getting chased by Sombra in the snow, etc...

Luna

It had much better pacing than the previous 2 parters. The ending didn't feel as rushed as the previous ones, unfortunately this had a side effect that I'll get to latter.

Lots of songs. I also think I saw that the song names are getting listed in the credits now. It's good to see them getting credit.

The Bad

Absolutely no villain development. King Sombra is more of a force than a character. His lack of personality is the biggest issue with this episode.I feel like they cut development on him to make the episode flow better.

Timeline issues. Luna was banished 1000 years ago, but they also supposedly fought Sombra 1000 years ago. If they explain that her becoming Nightmare Moon was a side effect of Sombra, then that could be awesome, but I doubt they'll ever go into it.

Things I'm not sure about

They are clearly hinting at Twilight becoming an alicorn. The previews during the commercials practically confirm it. I'm not really sure I want that. If feels like it's the kind of thing that could have a negative impact on the show, but then again I thought the same thing about Cadance and she turned out fine. I guess I'll just wait and see.

Overall

The episode was good, but I feel like it should have been a three parter and given Sombra some development.

I give it a 7 out of 10