MLP 407 "Bats!" SPOILERTASTIC Discussion Thread!

Applejack_with_apples_around_her_promotional_s4e07_medium

One of my highlights was AJ surrounded in apple bliss.

Is it just me, or is this show getting weirder? It's been kind of dark and creepy, except for that CMC episode. And there's this weird mysterious air where a lot of episodes keep ending on random cliffhangers. This week, they zoomed in on Fluttershy's (still there for some reason) vampire tooth. Last week, the comic book magically disappeared. Before that was a mysterious shadow in the abandoned castle. And there's still the keys and the box which hasn't even been brought up again. What is going on any more?

Anyway, Fluttershy turned into a monster for the second week in a row now. I'll admit that I wasn't expecting (until the moment when the spell happened and they zoomed in on Fluttershy, then I was totally expecting something to have gone wrong) her to turn into a vampire bat pony. I thought for sure AJ's plan would backfire and she'd learn that Flutterhsy's plan was good. First, because it was a good plan, and second because AJ is as stubborn as a rock and if there's an episode with her in it you can be sure she won't listen to a damn thing anyone tells her other than Granny Smith because she wants to do things her way and prove she can be a strong head of the household and blah blah blah.

Regardless, this episode was alright. It was written by Merriwether Williams, who's episodes seem to get fairly negative reactions from fans. However, I don't really understand the hate. She wrote one of my favorites in "Putting Your Hoof Down", she was story editor on the first season of Adventure Time, and she was the story editor and writer a lot of the best episodes of SpongeBob from back in the day.

Episode wasn't great but wasn't bad. The show has definitely changed, though. You can tell that Pinkie is way more over the top than she used to be, Twiligh's magic is crazy now, and Rarity seems unusually hilarious. I also feel like the show isn't as funny as it was. In the first two seasons there were laugh out loud moment on a regular basis. It's not bad these days but it is different. I'm interested in seeing where things go as the season progresses.