Games That Would Define This Generation.

Console-check-in_medium

Lately there has been a lot of talk about games of the year. We have a Top ten/25 list, greatest games of all time, Games of the Year, and your favorite game of all time. There might even be worst games of the year list, all time, and your most hated game. But now that this generation is winding down I’m sure we will soon be talking about the best games of this generation. However what about the game/s that defined this generation? How about we talk about that.

The other day I was listening to IGN’s Game Scoop podcast, and someone wrote in asking what game or games they thought defined or would define this generation. Interesting right? The guys then brought up some interesting points. Things like, sales, parameter’s to judge such, do you count the PC, and mobile markets as they can run on different timetable. They also talked about past generations and the games that defined them. Games like GTA3, Halo, and Half-Life for the PS2/Xbox era. Super Mario 64, FFVII, Pokemon, during the 64/PS1 era and so on. I mean think about it. GTA3 was not the best Grand Theft (Vice City), but man was it not the most important that cycle. Mario 64 changed the game( pun not intended) and was the pinnacle for 3D games. Pac Man, Galaga, Frogger meant the 80's and the arcade. DOOM, Diablo, and Sim City? PC in the 90's. Now they never actually picked a game. Mostly talked about what you could say and this might be something we wont know until we are well into the next generation.

Gta-iii_medium

So what defines this generation? If we add in all the platforms what would we say about this generation of gaming that defined it? This might not mean the best games of the generation but the games we look back on and say, "YUP that was what that gen was all about." Every generation has been about something regardless if it was one game or maybe a few in a franchise. When you do get all nostalgic over a past generation do you not remember the defining games? It's hard not to they are a part of pop culture now. If we had to bottle up the games of this generation for the future to see. How would we be describe it to our kids kids? I know games like Mass Effect, Uncharted, Rock Band, and Portal come to mind. But for real they are not what this generation was all about. Maybe the titles that really do tell what this gen was about are the ones that snuck up on us and either dared to be different, or took something simple and made it addictive.

Angry-birds-star-wars-splash_wide-4_3_r560_medium

When you think about it the biggest titles this generation would be Angry Birds, Farmville, and MineCraft. Also as much as I don’t want to say it Call of Duty. That is just a couple of the top of the head that I could think of. But I’m asking you what do you think, what else is out there? Is there or was there anything else important this generation. Also would you agree that those games define this generation?