Level 99 Rabbits, Slimes, and Bears, oh my!

Giantslime_medium

I've been thinking, and I realized that one of the things I liked most about two different games, Final Fantasy VIII and Oblivion, are hated by the vast majority of players.

Auto-leveling enemies

It seems that, no matter where I go, I end up seeing someone lamenting the feeling of being a badass because that previously low level critter they fought 20 hours ago is still giving them trouble 40 levels later.

And... it boggles my mind. Nothing is more boring to me than to have to slog through enemies that aren't even worth my time. Enemies that are only there to slow me down for the few seconds it takes to wipe them off the face of the planet with some giant meteor or fire demon or overhand chops.

I don't care about it from a "realistic" perspective. If we want to go down that road, how does killing a low level slime help my character become a better fighter? Shouldn't I then get the same XP from cutting the grass? I mean, it took the same amount of effort, and actually, now that the entire lawn is on fire thanks to my +flame sword of horticulture, it seems I should get a bit more from the grass I think.

I suppose if you're playing a game with the sole intention of being a golden god, felling huge swaths of foes with a single swing of your mighty weapon, then you'd be a little miffed when a simple rabbit took more than a passing glance to fall over in sheer terror.

So yeah... what's up with this, fellow gamers? Where do you stand on this monumental issue that shall divide us all into two camps, ready to rip out the throats of our (appropriately leveled or not) enemies?

X

forgot?

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_5353_tracker