Comics! Cartoons! Anime! Crisis Vol. 2, No. 5.1: Y-Men

*insert header here (Lol, remember when we had those?)*

That's right, I've changed how the weekly/bi-monthly/every whenever Comics/Animation thread is named again. Maybe it'll increase sales, who knows? But if you're picking this series up for the first time with this fabulous .1 issue, well you're in luck! This issue is the perfect jumping on point! To catch you up to speed with what's happened in Crisis so far, everything was rebooted, Spider-Man died, Naruto-san obtained the Suboni Crystal, three fan favorite cartoons were cancelled, Batman stopped the joker, the other Spider-Man died, a terrible cartoon reached it's 200th episode, and our heroes powered up for about 20 minutes and almost achieved the next level transformation. I know that's a lot of exposition, but don't worry, none of that was important anyway.

Okay here's the run down of what we do in this thread. I'm going to write up a quick paragraph or two on a comic book, an animated something, and I guess an anime because I kept not picking anime for the animated something and no one wanted to talk about that stuff here anymore. Now, what you do about this section is you promptly ignore it and go down to the comments and just talk about whatever you like. Or I GUESS you can talk about the featured stuff, maybe if you haven't seen/read it, check it out. IDK, whatever.

Featured Animation: DC Universe Animated Features

That's right I'm throwing everything off by not picking a cartoon series, but instead a series of animated films. For those of you that are unaware, the DC Universe line of "animated features" is Warner Bros. attempt to better market their trademarked stable of costumed heroes. A byproduct of this is that nerds like me (And maybe you!) get to watch some decent to great animated movies about how Batman saves the day every single time (Except in the ones he isn't, but you never really know with Batman). Here's a quick list of the line, cause everyone loves lists:

Superman/Doomsday
Justice League: The New Frontier
Batman: Gotham Knight
Wonder Woman
Green Lantern: First Flight
Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths
Batman: Under the Red Hood
Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam (This is actually a shorts collection as opposed to a movie)
All-Star Superman
Green Lantern: Emerald Knights
Batman: Year One
Justice League: Doom
Superman vs. The Elite
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part One
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part Two (Coming Soon!)
Superman: Unbound (Coming Soon!)
Justice League: Flashpoint (Coming Soon!)

A-death-in-the-family_medium

I didn't know what picture to choose so I just went with dead Robin.

So, those are the things you need to be on the lookout for, some of them are on Netflix right now as they tend to rotate them in and out. They're all on DVD and Blu-Ray, some can be found for super cheap even and you can rent them from Amazon. It's pretty obvious that these are all superhero movies, but some are very different types of superhero movies. The GL movies are Sci-Fi/Space Opera/That sort of thing Star whatever is sometimes. Wonder Woman is more of a Greek mythology thing. Superman vs. The Elite, Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths, and Batman: Under the Red Hood has some fun with philosophy (More like funosophy which is a word you shouldn't try reading out loud.). Oh and Year One isn't really even a Batman movie so enjoy that (No seriously, enjoy it, it's very enjoyable.

Featured Comic: All New X-Men

Ugh, more superheroes, I really need to find other material to talk about don't I? Well, too bad for everyone including myself, I'm talking about the X-Men. Awhile back I was going to right a How2X-Men thread, but I didn't get much response from the Avengers one (Despite it being the biggest movie of 2012, but WHATEVER GUYS!) so I scrapped it. However, there's another reason I didn't write it. There just haven't been that many interesting modern X-Men stories up until recently and I haven't gotten to read those. Then this book happened.

I've wrote about the basic premise in the comments before, but for those who haven't seen those or just forgot (I know I forgot my comments all the time), I'll give you the down low. This big fight between the X-Men and the Avengers happened last year because they have separate movie franchises now or something and IDK I guess Cyclops was mad about it. I think they called it Avengers vs. X-Men or something. Anyway, Cyclops did something really bad at the end and now he's Magneto. Not LITERALLY Magneto, that guy's still around as he works for Cyclops.

Tumblr_mgnpx5bzwk1rk7w2qo1_500_medium

Lol, look how eevill he looks? Subtly is dumb.

Anyway, Beast overheard Iceman's cool idea to increase sales so he went back and time and grabbed the X-Men from the way back when times and brought them today. Which is weird cause they didn't actually sell much back then, but whatever. So, the old X-Men are with the present day X-Men now and somehow that makes the "All New X-Men". Yeah, it's cool, words don't mean what they actually mean in comics. I mean, look at the "New" Avengers, they're on their like third issue one. Not sure how that's new.

What was I saying? Oh yeah! This book is cool, you should read it. It comes out every couple of hours so you'll probably be 12 issues behind by the time you read this, but it's worth it.

Featured Anime: Pokemon

That's right, I've neglected anime so much that I've given it it's own section. Enjoy. So, since I hadn't talked about anime in awhile, I thought I'd pick an old classic. And a very relevant one too. See, everyone is also talking about the brand new Pokemon games, Gen X and Gen Y or something. Well, I thought we could sit down and look back at the far off time of 1990-something. Pokemon was merely a doomed to fail video game that no one knew about then. But then something miraculous happened, they made a cartoon an anime.

The series ran for 82 episodes and one movie. In it, our protagonist attempted to be the very best, only to fail in the end, teaching children everywhere the most important lesson of all: we all fail in the end. The Pokemon cartoon anime wasn't afraid to tell it like it was. Such as when Butterfree left Ash to go breed and likely die or when people kept pointing guns to Ash's head. Oh, you don't remember that part? Yeah, in Japan, Pokemon wasn't a kid's show. It was a grim and gritty program for adults only but when it came out over here, 4Kids (RIP) edited out all the sex and violence. Don't believe me? James used to have boobs. Here's a pic:

B72801275_medium

This would've given kid me SO MANY funny feelings...

While the version we may have got was watered down, and it's now impossible to find the TRUE original hardcore version of the show because it gave a bunch of kids seizures because it was so damn awesome, what we did get was still one of the best video game adaptations of all time. Shame we never got any more...

X

forgot?

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_5353_tracker