Polygon Daily: Off-Topic Whiplash (Thu 31/1)

Welcome to Polygon Daily. What is this thread you ask? It's your daily Community Off-Topic thread where you're given the floor to talk about anything that's caught your eye over the past 24 hours. Just be sure to stick to the Polygon Community Guidelines, and we'll be golden folks.

Tuesday's header was from the original Neverwinter Nights, also known as "the AWFUL (it does not exist) MMO experiment by Stormfront where they took a good game (Pool of Radiance), made it a collaborative online experience with actual graphics, and charged an arm and a leg for it," (Mintycrys) released on DOS through the AOL service. Congrats to those of you that guessed correctly!

Today is the last header for the month and per zombie's request we've gone pretty modern here. Good luck!

Also, there's a poll down at the bottom of today's main PD post. We'll use this to determine if we're going to continue the Tue\Thu header contest into the month of February.

Here's the rules:

• Place #PDGuess in front of all your guesses. This also allows you to append your guess to the end of a normal comment. Keep in mind, we will be searching ONLY for #PDGuess when we do our search, so it's imperative you put this tag in front of your answer.

• You only get ONE guess, so make it count. If you guess multiple times, only your first guess will be counted, even if you get it right later on.

• Guesses will be taken up until the next Polygon Daily is posted.

• Even if the first person guesses right, everyone still gets a chance to post their guess. It's not about being first, it's about having the most correct guesses by the end of the month. This makes it fair to people in all time zones.

• I won't tell you the answer until the next Polygon Daily and I won't be giving any hints. Not even Shaun knows the answers to these headers. You guys can work together with this, as it's not the first person who gets the right answer gets a point, but each person who gets it right that day. However, at the end of each month... THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE.

NEWS

Tearaway hands-on: Media Molecule turns trash into a PlayStation Vita treasure by Michael McWhertor

Killzone Mercenary hands-on: We're only in it for the money by Michael McWhertor

TiVo for Wii U delayed, won't be coming in January by Tracey Lien

Iwata: Nintendo plans to increase profits with the help of Monster Hunter 4, Pokémon X/Y, Animal Crossing: New Leaf and more by Tracey Lien

Grasshopper Manufacture's current games in development will not be affected by GungHo acquisition by Tracey Lien

1165c_medium

FEATURES

Fighting the tide: the struggle to revive Ecco the Dolphin by Megan Farokhmanesh

Turn by Turn: The Story of Battlefront by Charlie Hall

1165c_medium

REVIEWS

Fire Emblem: Awakening

Skulls of the Shogun

1165c_medium

FORUM POSTS

Win a copy of 'Skulls of the Shogun' by Shaun McIlroy

Do we think the Xbox 720 will offer a real MMO experience? by travthompson

Game (Controller) Theory: Did The Gamecube Get Face Buttons Correct? by troyork

The Classic: Couch co-op with my girlfriend.. but which game? by emirarkman

Favorite cancelled TV shows. by zombie711

1165c_medium

COTD

Okay guys. Please, bear with me on this. We need to talk, and if it helps – put a Vincent K. McMahon voice in your head.

We started on The Verge, not really knowing how our "PolyTAY" would develop. At the start I had no real thread layout, but as time moved on I picked up on what you wanted from an OT thread, and for Polynauts Central we had headers, COTD, dedicated threads and news. After that, to prevent burnout Paddy, Salias (and now Fox) came on board to help me maintain the quality you expect. We enjoy doing this for you, but the thread took up to sixty minutes to make – every day that the post went up – or 6 months in Polynaut time.

We pared back on that for the Polygon Daily thread, if only to make the job a tad easier not only on ourselves but to give you all a smaller information overload than you were used to. Once again, that was proven to not be what you wanted so we reinstated the thread layout, and with the help of you guys we got things "right". Nuclear Prinny was a huge part of making this easier on us, and now a thread can be made from the start in less than ten minutes.

But we didn’t get everything right and clearly there’s still work to be done here on Polygon Daily. And that’s where you come in once more.

We need you to work with us to keep the dedicated Polygon threads active, and give those other Polynauts the respect they deserve for writing content to entertain you. There are many conversations which happen in PD that honestly would be better suited in those threads without making this place seem any less special.

What are those threads you ask? Here are a few examples:

Comics! Cartoons! Anime! Crisis Vol. 2, No. 6: Ackin’ So Cray-Cray by Breadknight, chaosbirdomaid and zombie711
The PolyMusic Jukebox by Helis
Polygon Atelier: Community art thread by TXChris

If we need to start bringing back dedicated threads to the OP in order to give you a shortcut then I’ll do that. I’ll work with the PD team to find a way to make those links more visible – but you have to work with us. We’ve given you the PD you wanted, and we’ll continue to make it for you, the Polygon community every day.

But we do need you to help us with this. So if you have anime, comics or cartoons to discuss – you know where to go. Music? There’s a thread for that. If you want to submit a reoccuring thread and have it featured up top every day then email me at shaun(at)polygon.com and we’ll have a chat.

I want this thread to continue to work for everyone here, but we need your help to continue to grow.

Thanks for your time guys, email me if you have any concerns/questions. Or drop your feedback below.

Shaun McIlroy | 5 Recommends

And that's it for today Polynauts. Tune in tomorrow for more Polygon Daily news updates. If you're looking to create a header like the one used up top, then check out the Polygon Daily header thread.

And remember however to subscribe to our @PolygonAll Twitter feed for all breaking news, and @Polynauts for Community updates throughout the day.

1165c_medium

Loading poll...
X

forgot?

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_5353_tracker