Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 1, No. 6: Character Counts

BeesPlightHeader.gif

Hey Everyone, Bees here, bringing you my first Plight episode ever! As a special bonus, you all get a signed copy!

Anyway, feel free to read my recommendations, and comment on them and any other Comics, Cartoons, Anime and whatnot to your heart's content.

We've got quite a disparate lineup today. Also we do have a small dose of Batman just in case you were suffering withdrawal in the time since darknightgotham's Plight.

ZitaTheSpaceGirlHeader

Zita the Spacegirl is the story of Zita, a girl who comes across a portal device that teleports her far away to an alien planet, and her adventures as she tries to return home. Written by Ben Hatke, there are currently two books in the series with a third on the way.

Zita the Spacegirl is written for all ages. Last time I checked you were included in that demographic. If you happen to be thinking, "Nah, I'm too cool for an all ages book." then I've got news for you. You're not too cool for it, but it is to cool for you. The series being written for all ages doesn't mean that the story shies away from subjects like loss and sacrifice, it just means that the author handles them in a way that's appropriate for any reader, and I think he did a good job of not insulting my intelligence with his treatment.

Zita-pipe-fixer-critties2_medium

The artwork in Zita the Spacegirl brings a lot of character to the alien worlds and especially to their inhabitants, working in pen and watercolors Hatke creates a wide array of aliens and robots that populate the story, even lending the background characters a sense of being.

The main characters continue on to have their own distinct personalities through the writing as well. Zita especially is a multi-dimensional character, and experiences a realistically wide range of emotions across her journeys. Similarly the supporting cast have their own relationships and motivations, and are very endearing.

I would recommend the series to anyone. If you have kids, get it and read it with your kids. If you don't have kids, get it and read it anyway. I mean, I chose promoting this over Axe Cop, and I really love Axe Cop, so that's saying something.

AnohanaHeader

Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day is a character piece that follows an adolescent boy Jinta as he has to deal with the fact that he starts seeing the ghost of his childhood friend Meiko. Her presence and insistence that she can't go to heaven until she has a wish granted causes Jinta to start interacting with his other friends from childhood, as the group fell apart after Meiko's untimely death.

The series clocks in at a short eleven episodes, and focuses on the friends coming to terms with what their friend Meiko's death, and what that did to fracture the group apart. The characters are developed rather nicely in the run of the show, and there is a lot of cathartic emotion as a lot of pent up emotions are brought to light and dealt with.

Now I like character driven stories, and this series is almost exclusively character driven, so if that's something you like I think you'd enjoy this series. If it's not, there's only eleven episodes, so it's probably worth a shot anyway, because it's a pretty well put together show. Hey, trying new things is fun.

JusticeLeagueHeader

Disclaimer: I am new to most of the characters in the DC Universe and will be reviewing this show from that perspective, so long time fans, just be aware of that and don't go jumping down my throat please. :)

Speaking of character driven shows, next up we have Justice League and Justice League Unlimited. The shows are a series focused on the DC universe and its many superheroes. If you are like me and haven't been into superheroes before and want to get a feel for a large number of the DC heroes like I did, than this is a great series for you.

The first seasons focus on Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, the Green Lantern (John Stewart), Flash (Wally West), and The Martian Manhunter (J'onn J'onzz) but will occasionally include more heroes from around the DC Universe. When the series continues as Justice League Unlimited, the character count is expanded by leaps and bounds.

The show does a good job of bringing out the characterizations of each of the heroes, and introducing the relationships between them. Now I have no idea how these line up with any of the various cannons of the DC comics Universe at large, but they work for the purposes of the show.

The show is rather entertaining in a good Saturday morning action cartoon fashion. It doesn't bother to much with origin stories or backgrounds unless it is relevant to the plot of the particular episode, so it gets right to the point of having teams of superheroes fighting crime, solving mysteries and saving the world. Plenty of action, suspense, and property damage.

The reason why I reviewed the two shows together is that Unlimited picks up where Justice League left off plot wise, but with a bit of a format shift. In Justice League you get a lot of stand-alone arcs, usually 2 episodes each, and after two seasons the show switches to Justice League Unlimited, where you get more hero of the week type episodes interspersed with a larger story arc that moves forwards throughout the show.

Steins;GateHeader

Today on Plight we are also featuring the review of Steins;Gate by Kirielson! I really enjoyed this anime, and I think that he did a good job of reviewing the show. You can read his review here, then you should go watch the show, because It's good.

Well that about wraps it up. Enjoy your various discussions and I’ll just leave these links here for reference, (because anyone can do a plight, yay!).

The Current Plight Schedule, ask for a date if you want one.

The featured header file (Photoshop 5)

The main Plight header file (Photoshop 5)

Oh yeah, free signed copy.

BeesSig

Bam. Bees out everyone.

X

forgot?

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.
Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_5353_tracker