Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 1, No. 10: SUPER GIRLS

B5xpg5s_medium

Welcome, welcome, welcome, to the 10th issue of Plight! Your forum home for everything Anime/Cartoon/Comic related. Anyway, let's get to it!

2oeeimw_medium

Featured Comic: SUPERMAN/BATMAN: SUPERGIRL

Superman/Batman was easily one of my favorite titles of the pre new-52 DC. As the title suggests, it featured stories that teamed up the World’s Fines: Batman and Superman. Or Superman and Batman, however you want to spell it out. Anyway, the first arc of the book dealt with both Supes and Bats on the run from the government, which had mighty Lex Luthor as its president (yeah, that happened…and totally ended well). Anyway, the second arc dealt with some of the fallout from that. Namely, what was in the Krypronite meteor that was heading for Earth? So…what was in there? Well, none other than Kara Zor-El, long lost cousin of our very own Kal-El, better known as Superman. What f follows is a story that introduced Supergirl to a new generation of fans, leading our heroes in a journey that went from metropolis to Themyscira, to Apokolips! This story has some great moments, from Supergirl’s arrival on Earth, to Batman facing Darkseid himself…and winning.

Another plus is that it features the beautiful art of the late Michael Turner.

This story can also be found as an animated feature in the form of SUPERMAN/BATMAN: APOCALYPSE

Klhhxpc_medium

Featured Cartoon: Fantastic Four World’s Greatest Heroes

Okay, so this may not be the best cartoon ever, but it sure was fun. Though it only ran for a 26 episode season, and some episodes were even left unaired (though later released in the box set, which I own); it was actually quite entertaining. Clearly taking a sort of anime-like inspiration in the character design department, FF: World’s Greatest Heroes feature the adventures of the world’s first and foremost superhero family: the Fantastic Four. Here they face classic enemies such as Victor Von Doom himself and others such as the Puppet Master, the Skrulls, Ronan, Diablo, Annihilus and more. It also features some guest appearances by Iron Man, She-Hulk, the Hulk, Ant-Man and Squirrel Girl!

All in all, it’s a fun series that and it has a couple of great moments. It’s a bit different from the source material, but I have fond memories of it.

Ll5blw6_medium

Featured Anime: Kill la Kill

So this is a recent pick in my part. I mean, it’s still airing, but that’s not what I mean. See, I don’t watch much anime…I tried to watch Naruto, I only lasted 21 episodes and got burned out. I did watch the first season of Sword Art Online and enjoyed them, so there’s that. So one day, I get a Crunchyroll guest pass from someone on Plight and don’t have any idea what to watch. I end up watching Kill la Kill because it looked kind of cool…even if I had heard mostly mixed reactions to it. And you know what? At first, I too had mixed reactions on it. There are a couple of weird things, but in the end, there was just something that kept me coming back. I don't know…it’s just FUN. So, what is it about, anyway? Ryuko Matoi is a girl who is trying to find out who killed her father and why, and so she enlists in this school in which the students are divided by uniform level, which is assigned by stars (no star, one star, two star, three star). The more stars, the more powerful the uniform and the higher living quality of the wearer. So what about Ryuko? Well she has her own, admittedly creepy suit…why creepy? Well…he’s sentient. Anyway, give it a watch when you can, see if you like it too. Also, it’s a bit insane...and i really like it

Kill la Kill is set at Honnouji Academy, a fictional high school in Tokyo Bay set in post-apocalyptic Japan that is dominated by its fearsome student council, led by Satsuki Kiryuin. The council members wear special uniforms called Goku Uniforms that grant them superhuman abilities, which they use to oppress the rest of the school's students and staff. Ryuko Matoi, a student wielding half a scissor-shaped longsword, transfers to Honnouji Academy in search of the owner of the other half of the scissor blade, the person who killed her father. Defeated by the council after interrogating Satsuki over the killer's identity and whereabouts, Ryuko comes across a sentient sailor uniform she names Senketsu, who puts himself on Ryuko. Using Senketsu's special abilities, Ryuko stands up against Satsuki and her henchmen, the Elite Four , to liberate Honnouji Academy from their iron grip and find out the truth behind her father's murder

That's it for now folks!

A file that will hopefully get more information as we move forward.

The featured header file (Photoshop 5)

The main Plight header file (Photoshop 5)

UPDATE #1: UNCANNY DEATHS.

Rhixhyr_medium

The solicitations didn't lie. Someone does die in Uncanny Avengers. Who is it? Well, obviously not spoiling that here, read the issue and find out! Is it a good death, though? Eh, I'm torn on it. Also, Zero Year keeps taking DC by storm.

And a random thought to end the (albeit quite short) update...I really hope they don't turn Wolverine into a villain, as Marvel has been teasing...yeah, they are ending Wolverine and the X-Men, but Amazing X-Men still is going on. I fall on the side that dislikes Superior Spider-Man, an I personally wouldn't want a repeat of that. Still, the current creative team on Wolverine has been doing pretty great, and I love most of Paul Cornell's work...let's hope this is a good story. Context.

Also, here's hoping Wolverine and the X-Men gets a relaunch or something, that book is just too good to end permanently.

UPDATE #2: TOLD YA IT WAS TOO GOOD!

Ksievso_medium

As perfect a continuation of my past update as it can ever be, Wolverine and the X-Men realunch has been announced! Continuing with the new Marvel NOW practice of renumbering books in the style of TV season (or something like that), WatXM will continue after the end of Jason Aaron's "first year of school", and focus on a smaller cast (with some additions, like Fantomex!) on what has been described as a "summer semester" compared to the previous volume's "first year". The book will have a new creative team in the likes of Jason Latour and Mahmud Asrar. But fret not, if you want more of Jason Aaron's X-Men/Wolverine goodness, Amazing X-Men is still a thing! And it has Nightcrawler too!

X

forgot?

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

Spinner

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_5353_tracker