Mommy, where do zombies come from?

Tumblr_lmfhh7yfid1qgbgm6o1_400_medium

via 25.media.tumblr.com

I just checked out the Dying Light gameplay vid (which looks fun) and started thinking about zombies.

Do you guys care where they come from?

I.e. in a story that features zombies, do you care where they originate from or is it okay for them to just.. be?

I realized that i care. It doesn't matter how inane their origin, i want to know how the damned things came about. Be it a virus, a full moon or tacos from that shady place (you know the one), i want to know. It bugs me when a game or a movie presents zombies without giving me the skinny on how come there are shambling corpses moving about.

Then there's the whole "what is a zombie" thing. I don't accept walking corpses. If it's dead, it's dead unless it's a game (or movie, i guess) that allows magic -- and then anything goes. No, if it's "dead", then it needs to be re-animated somehow (a-la T-virus). Skeletons and dried up husks don't move because there's not enough matter left for anything except magic to take hold.

So i guess what i'm saying is that i like a little explanation along with my zombie apocalypse. Also, it's possible i think too much.

How about you guys?