Comics! Cartoons! Anime! Crisis Vol. 2, No. 10: 52 NOW!

It’s a special edition Crisis with a chromium cover! NOW! the timing on this isn’t as good as I’d like it to be due to the promotion currently being pulled until Marvel and Comixology can get things together, but some of you might’ve been able to grab the 700 free #1’s that were recently given away or maybe like me, were at least able to grab SOME of them. Whether you did or not, Marvel WILL be bringing back the promotion, and when they do, here’s your guide to over 52 comics (Eat your heart out DC) worth checking out.

A-Babies vs. X-Babies
It’s p kawaii, that’s all you need to know.

All-New X-Men #1
Professor X is dead, Cyclops is the next Magneto, and modern comics are just kind of bleak. What would the original X-Men feel about this? Find out NOW!

Annihilation: Prologue #1
I didn’t actually like this very much, but I know this guy that I’ve asked to comment here more often but never will because I’m pretty sure he secretly hates me and is conspiring to destroy me and everything I love and…um, oh this comic. Yeah, he said it was a good place to start the cosmic side of Marvel. It’s a prelude to some big event thing and there are first issues for more books in that event so you’ll have somewhere to go without paying!

Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 3 #1
Do you know who wrote and directed that Avengers movie that you’ve seen 12 times? The same guy that wrote that wrote this book. The X-Men go full on superhero with a little grand tour of what make the X-Men, the X-Men. Oh, and FYI, don’t read the Giant-Size issues unless you read all the other issues first. Those are the finale.

Astonishing-x-men-1-100k_medium

You could say that they look...astonishing.

Avengers, Vol. 5 #1
"I have an army!" "We have a Hulk." You might remember that exchange from The Avengers film, well, what if The Avengers WERE an army? This Marvel NOW! series answers that question.

Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes #1
I haven’t read this, but this miniseries might appeal to fans of the cartoon of the same name. It is written by a writer for the show and set in the same universe.

Avengers Academy #1
You like teen angst? Okay, fine, what about relatable teenagers in general? Oh, so you hate all teenagers, well, you still might like this book. It has like, well-written characters and junk. Oh! Yeah, it’s about kids that were tortured by Norman Osborn who are being trained as the next Avengers.

Avengers Arena #1
Did you like The Hungry Games? Well this is that but with less themes and more superheroes!

Avengers Assemble #1
Well, the big promotion that started this list was to get more people who liked the movies to read the comics. Well, this comic was specifically designed for that as the first arc uses the film’s roster! So yeah, it made the list.

Avenging Spider-Man #1
Spider-Man teams up with various characters in the Marvel Universe! It’s just good old fashioned fun.

Avenging-spidey_header-610x438_medium

More like redvenging Spider-Man, am I right? Okay, I'll stop now...

AVX: VS. #1
Here’s more good old fashioned fun, surprisingly. What seems like just another event tie-in is actually a fun FIGHTAN book. You might like it if you like FIGHTAN. Also, it has FIGHTAN.

Captain America, Vol. 5 #1
Tactical espionage action! It’s Captain America: Super Spy in the beginning of Ed Brubaker’s acclaimed run on the title! Soon to be the basis for a major motion picture!

Captain America, Vol. 7 #1
The art is a little rough around the edges, but Rick Remender brings his signature voice to the Sentinel of Liberty. It’s Silver Age (That means the older days but not the oldest days of comics) with modern (That means NOW!) sensibilities.

Captain Marvel #1
You ever want a superhero comic that both stars a woman and is fun? Well, this is that and it just started last year so there isn’t too many issues to catch up on yet.

Civil War #1
Heroes vs. heroes over IDK some political squabble. It’s kinda like the election season but with Captain America vs. Iron Man as opposed to donkeys vs. elephants. Still not sure how PETA can complain about Assassin’s Creed IV but let the politicians go unchecked…

Daredevil, Vol. 3 #1
Okay, I haven’t read this one. I just know that the writer, Mark Waid, who’s written stuff like Impulse and Kingdom Come that I’ve liked, also another title way down the list, is great. Also, everyone that reads comics seems to love this so I guess I should get to it too. Oh, um, it’s um, Daredevil, but more superheroey I guess. IDK, maybe Nipah’s read it…

First-look-at-daredevil-18-by-chris-samnee-l-t2misv_medium

Here's a picture of Daredevil beating people up to make up for the lack of me reading the book.

Daredevil: End of Days #1
This a new miniseries that’s kind of trying to be the "Death of Spider-Man", "The Dark Knight Returns", and "Kingdom Come" style finale story for the character. It was pretty cool, especially if you like journalists on the newsbeat, since it stars a journalist on the newsbeat.

Daredevil: Yellow #1
I haven’t read this either (I LIKE Daredevil too, not sure why I keep avoiding his stuff), but it’s part of an acclaimed set of stories by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale that look into the early years of Marvel heroes.

Dark Avengers #1
This series was a chapter in Brian Michael Bendis’ insanely long Avengers Saga that ran the course of nearly a decade. However, it stands well enough as a "What If the Bad Guys Were in Charge of the Marvel Universe?" story. Except it "really" happened.

Fantastic Four, Vol. 2 #1
This is the most recent Fantastic Four series and it’s mainly getting a recommend solely for being that.

FF, Vol. 2 #1
This is the most recent Fantastic Four series’ companion book and it’s mainly getting a recommend for being absurd and awesome. It’s about a replacement Fantastic Four running the Future Foundation (A school that teaches the greatest minds of the future). It’s also weird with art to match.

Hawkeye #1
The people’s superhero, that’s who Hawkeye is. And this is him when he’s not gallivanting around with The Avengers. It’s also one of the best first issues I’ve ever read and I eagerly await getting the trade next week containing the first five issues (AND A YOUNG AVENGERS ISSUE!).

Hulk: Grey #1
I’ve can’t really into The Hulk, but this is one of those Loeb/Sale books I mentioned earlier.

Indestructible Hulk #1
I can into The Hulk now. Everyone read this. NOW!

Hulk1_medium

Seriously, this book is a great case of not to judge a book by its cover and all that.

Marvels #1: Part One, #1: Part Two
One of the few places I feel that DC really "beats" Marvel is that they have way more "graphic novel" type stories, while Marvel has far better serialized works. Well, Marvels is essentially Marvel’s attempt at those DC-style "graphic novel" stories and it’s really good.

New Avengers, Vol. 1 #1
I’ve talked about this one before, but I’ll do it again. This is where Bendis’ big Avengers story started (The one that’s kind of finally ending with the currently releasing Age of Ultron event). This is those heroes you saw on the big screen (Well a couple of them), Marvel’s two most popular characters (Spider-Man and Wolverine), and a couple of new faces (Well, old and new, but the old ones might be new to you like they were for me).

New Avengers: Illuminati One Shot, New Avengers: Illuminati #1, New Avengers, Vol. 2 #1
Okay, this one’s weird because I lumped it all together like this. I want to recommend the first issue of the new New Avengers, but it reads like the first issue of a Black Panther comic and doesn’t sell the premise. These older "Illuminati" books sell that premise. If you don’t know what "The Illuminati" is, well, Google it, this is that but in the Marvel Universe.

Runaways, Vol. 1 #1
So a group of mostly super-powered teens find out that their parents are super-villains. What do they do? They get the hell out of there is what they do. Three-dimensional characters, a gripping story, and some other buzzword that means "this book is good", Runaways is a joy throughout. It’s also my favorite comic. Oh, and I recommend not reading the other #1’s for the series as they’ll spoil the first volume. I also don’t really recommend reading Vol. 3 #1 at all.

Runaways_medium

Not only does this have cool teenagers posing, but it has a dinosaur!

Scarlet Spider #1
Okay, so there’s this infamous storyarc called "The Clone Saga" this book might take some concepts and characters from that book, BUT it’s actually a great, accessible, and fun superhero book. If you’re looking for a Spider-Man with a little more edge, you came to the right place. Hmm, actually, there are a bunch of those on the list. Maybe more than Spider-Man without edge, but at least there’s no Bono!

Sinister Spider-Man #1
Bread recommended this one! So blame him if it’s terrible. You know how I told you about that Dark Avengers thing? This is the Spider-Man from that. That is all.

Spider-Man: Blue #1
The last Loeb/Sale book on this list and the only one I read. This is wonderful look into Peter Parker’s past and the romance that was to never be that he had with one Gwen Stacy.

Spider-Man: Noir #1
It’s Spider-Man by way of classic noir films like The Maltese Falcon, Casablanca, LA Noire, and Blade Runner!

Spider-Man and X-Men: Digital Spectacular #1
There’s only one more "I haven’t read this book" after this one, I promise. This made the list due to the fact that it’s actually a full trade collection. So that means you’re getting a "graphic novel"’s worth of story as opposed to a single issue 1.

Spider-Men #1
You remember when I said Marvel didn’t have enough "graphic novel" type stories? Well, here’s another, a tale of two Spider-Mans and even though it’s a crossover, you can easily look at as a "What If Peter Parker Entered a World Where He had Died?"

Untitled-1-1338835243_medium

Spider-Man plus Spider-Man equals Spider-Men. I don't care what that teacher said. I'm great at math.

Superior Spider-Man #1
Bread talked a whole bunch about this in the last Crisis. He forgot to mention how meta it is. It’s pretty meta.

Thor: God of Thunder #1
For those that liked the Thor film, here’s a new starting point for you and the character. This Marvel NOW! book spans three generations with a story that connects all three of these points in Thor’s life.

Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man, Vol. 2 #1
Personally, I recommend reading every single issue of Ultimate Spider-Man and Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man, Vol. 1 (As well as the annuals and some events) to get the full story, but this new Ultimate book is its own story as well. Anyway, it’s about a Spider-Man like you’ve never seen before. He’s this really smart kid that got bit by a spider and now he fights crime! He has to juggle the responsibilities of his everyday life with those of his superhero persona. And of course, life just won’t give him a break. I guess it’s that ol’ Morales-luck…

Ultimate Comics: Ultimates #1
This is like The Avengers but greater in scope. It’s also like the Ultimates series that came before it, but I haven’t gotten to that yet because alphabetical order…

Ultimate Comics: X-Men #1
If you want an X-Men book where mutants are "public enemy number one" well, you found one. Turns out, in the Ultimate Universe, mutants are…hmm, just in case some people want to read everything in order, I won’t spoil it.

Ultimate Spider-Man #1
The best Spider-Man comic ever written. The definitive take on the character. BreadKnight’s favorite anything. That’s all you need to know.

Ultimate X-Men #1
I liked this book as a kid, plus it has a Pokemon reference.

Ultimates #1
I’m not the biggest fan of how edgy this series tries to be, but it’s still one hell of a thrill ride. Ultimates is a modernization of The Avengers, but characterization-wise, it’s not really the kind of modernization I was looking for. You might though. Also, a quick note, Ultimates 2 continues this story, but I don’t recommend reading that #1 until you’ve read all of this Ultimates. Also, stay far away from Ultimates 3 and Ultimatum.

Ultimate-avengers-original_medium

I am deeply saddened by how hard it was to find a good Ultimates picture that wasn't from Ultimates 3.

Uncanny Avengers #1
What happens when you add the X-Men to The Avengers? This. This is what happens.

Uncanny X-Force, Vol. 1 #1
Deep characterization and intriguing espionage heroics make this book a must read! Yeah, that sounds like a good review quote. Seriously though, this is one of, if not the, best X-Men comics I’ve ever read.

Venom, Vol. 2 #1
I think trying to explain why Flash Thompson as spec-ops Venom is a good idea is really hard, so just read this comic and give the idea a chance.

Wolverine and the X-Men #1
This is sort of the yin to Uncanny X-Force’s yang. It was supposed to the yin to a different yang, but I don’t think that other yang is all that good (And I actually LIKE the writer of it), but now I think it works better as X-Force’s companion. This is the fun X-Men comic, and it features Wolverine’s more parental side. Along with UXF this book shows WHY Wolverine is a good character that’s just written wrong too much of the time.

Wolverine, Vol. 1 #1
Speaking of Wolverine, here’s the book that first showed why "he’s the best at what he does". Frank Millar and Chris Claremont’s legendary mini-series is…um…yeah, this was that last comic I hadn’t read…

X-Men: Schism #1
Wolverine and Cyclops have never really gotten along, but this is the book where all of that reaches a boiling point. Not only that, but this is also the book that REALLY set things for the current X-Men books which makes it required reading.

Young Avengers, Vol. 1 #1
Fun, light-hearted, optimistic, superheroics, this book is all about being 16.

Young Avengers, Vol. 2 #1
Fun, light-hearted, optimistic, superheroics, this book is all about being 18.

Young-avengers-600x464_medium

Any excuse to post this spread again.

BACKUP FEATURE!

Toonami2_medium

This is what I hope to be the first in a line of many quick conversation starters. Similarly to what I did with Cartoon Network’s anniversary, for Toonami’s birthday I’d like to ask what your fondest Toonami memory is. I’m not sure what mine is. I remember thinking Piccolo from Dragon Ball Z was so cool that I had to have a deluxe super detailed action figure of the character. I remember Tuxedo Mask from Sailor Moon giving me a funny feeling inside. I remember thinking Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz was the coolest thing ever even though I had never watched an episode of Gundam prior to that. I even remember liking Hamtaro enough to buy a bunch of merch.

So Toonami Faithful, what’s your fondest Toonami memory? Oh, and don’t forget to join us in making new Toonami memories every Saturday night on [adult swim]. For the birthday this week, two hours of the regular schedule is being replaced with Evangelion 1.11: You Are (Not) Alone, one of my favorite anime movies.

X

forgot?

Please choose a new Polygon username and password

As part of the new Polygon launch, prior users will need to choose a permanent username, along with a new password.

Your username will be used to login to Polygon going forward.

I already have a Vox Media account!

Verify Vox Media account

Please login to your Vox Media account. This account will be linked to your previously existing Eater account.

Please choose a new Polygon username and password

As part of the new Polygon launch, prior MT authors will need to choose a new username and password.

Your username will be used to login to Polygon going forward.

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.
Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_5353_tracker