Share your Best Game Design resources

Ha ha! Anyone expecting me to start another inflammatory conversation is going to be disappointed. Go ahead and get all hot and bothered about that in the comments if you like. This is going to be my own list of articles and other resources that have helped form my opinions of what good game design is.By "Game Design resources" I mean anything that has helped you form your opinion of what makes a good game. Please come in and add your own formative articles etc. Or tell me why these things are stupid and I should stop wanting games to be better because things are fine the way they are. I don't care; it's all good!/

Extra Credits These videos are now hosted by Penny Arcade and you can just pick one you like and run with it. I don't always agree, but they almost always get me thinking about things.

Penny Arcade Report (in general) Ben Kuchera has the unusual position of being a full time games journalist who only has to put out 2 articles per day. This luxury means the articles are far more editorial than anything else. He also has strong opinions about game journalism itself.

PAR on Good Gaming Journalism Speaking of which, here is an article that I think is good reading if you want to think about how our gaming sites post articles from other sources.

The Final Bosman This guy came out of nowhere for me. He is really passionate about games and I cannot get enough of him.

Tim Rogers on Kotalaktaku This guy is seriously long winded. Feel free to stop reading when your ears start smoking. None the less, he has a really interesting take on why games "feel good".

The Trenches The webcomic is okay; read the anonymous posts from people in the testing industry. They cover a wide range of experiences and shine a light on some of the things wrong with the industry. Also, some of them are wildly biased or not self-aware which can be funny too.

Zero Punctuation Not game design specifically, but I find his acerbic tastes an interesting reference point. Also, hilarious.

MovieBob on the Escapist as well He is primarily a movie critic, but he often has interesting things to say about everything geek.

Checkpoint: Escapist and Penny Arcade cross over A "news" format with some interesting jabs taken at the game industry. Kind of like The Daily Show for gamers.

So, those are mostly source, and you can pick out an article or video you like. As I said, come bring your own favourite sources or highlight specific articles.

X

forgot?

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_5353_tracker