Polygon Feast & Fitness (Sept 2013)

Polygon-feast-and-fitness-header_medium

Hello Polynauts! I've seen a few work out and food posts sprinkled across the forums (usually in PD), so I thought I'd make a thread for people who want to share and discuss.

Polygon-feast-and-fitness---featured-feast_medium

Ramen Burger

Submitted by: Sterling Smith

Recipe source: AllRecipes

Results: Delicious

Image_medium

Image_1_medium

Photo_jpg_medium

My wife and I saw ramen burgers while we were in Japan this past summer, but never got to try one. We decided to remedy that ourselves, and the results were spectacular, though incredibly filling and unhealthy. We made the following modifications from the linked recipe above: added sauteed mushrooms and onions, substituted green leaf lettuce for arugula.

Polygon-feast-and-fitness-featured-fitness_medium

Caloric Deficit

Submitted by: Sterling Smith

Starting with a simple but key feature of all healthy fat loss: the only way to lose fat is to burn more calories than your body naturally consumes in a day. By eating less of some portions, substituting in low calorie alternatives, exercising more, increasing the metabolism so the body naturally consumes more calories, or a combination of all of the above, fat should be lost. Straight Health's calorie deficit calculator tool can be used to get an idea of what you naturally burn in a day, and will give you a ballpark estimate of the calorie amount you should target to lose weight. For me, as a 25 year old, 5'8" male weighing 210 pounds (95.2544 kg), was a normal calorie burn of around 2100 calories with minimal physical activity in my day. By adjusting my diet to get rid of sugary drinks and eat smaller, healthier portions of food, and adding in more exercise, I've been able to get around the recommended calorie amount for steady fat loss, about 1700 calories. My target goal of 175 pounds (79.3787 kg) by the end of the year is possible at that rate, though if the increased exercise results in muscle gain (which it should) my weight loss might not be so dramatic, but the actual number I don't care about so much as long as I'm healthier.

Closing

That's it for the inaugural Polygon Feast & Fitness! Everyone please chime in with more food stories/photos/ideas and fitness information that you care to share. This is meant to be collaborative, and for people besides myself to create future entries for the featured sections.

If anyone with more Photoshop skill than I has an idea for some good headers for this post, I'd greatly appreciate the help. I'll aim for new posts every month for now, but that can change depending on the amount of traffic in the thread, more often if it becomes unwieldy, or less if there isn't much interest.

X

forgot?

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.
Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_5353_tracker