Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 3, no. 2: Shocking Truth!

Well, let's get this done. It's been a while since I wrote one of these, hardly have the time lately! Still, I enjoy doing so, so let's get to it!

FEATURED ANIME: CHAIKA THE COFFIN PRINCESS

Fantasy. Action. Magic. Chaika. Shocking Truths! What else could you ask for? Okay, I'll actually explain for those that haven't been paying attention to it, Chaika the Coffin Princess follows a very mysterious girl named Chaika as she attempts to recover the remains of her father to give him a proper funeral...it just so happens to be that her father was an evil sorcerer emperor that ruled over the land with an iron grip until he was vanquished by a group of heroes who now hold on to parts of him. Yeah. What's our poor girl to do? Well, she enlists the help of two saboteur siblings (Well, not really siblings, but that's beside the point) Toru and Akari that accompany her on her Journey. Along the way they meet new allies and enemies like Frederica the Dragoon with a thirst for battle, Guille's company of soldiers with a noble heart but misguided goal, and of course, Chaikas. Wait, what?

You heard me right, if your poor little heart couldn't handle one Chaika, well...get ready for more! Turns out, there are more girls calling themselves Chaika out there these days, all looking for the remains of their father. But...who is the real Chaika? Why do they all share the same goal? Wait...do they share the same goal? Well, what better way to find out than to start watching now?

Chaika is full of action, humor, and a very interesting premise. The characters are all likable, Toru is a pretty good protagonist, Akari is hilarious and awesome, and our star Chaika has more to her than just her cute speech impediment. Shocking truth indeed, Chaika is one of my favorite series this year, and right now it's on its second season titled Avenging Battle. Go watch it now, it's worth it!

Maybe worth mentioning it's by the same person that did Outbreak Company. Which I have yet to watch.

FEATURED CARTOON: BATMAN - ASSAULT ON ARKHAM

This animated film is set in the same universe as the Arkham games. And though some of the recent DC animation efforts have been lacking, this one proves to be like the previous ones in that is actually quite enjoyable and fits surprisingly well with the established universe. One thing that should be worth noting: Batman is in the title so it would sell better. This is more of a Suicide Squad film than a Batman film, though he takes the focus in the last act of the movie. That said, it is enjoyable to see these anti-heroes and villains work together to try and break into Arkham. They are a rotten bunch, but they're a likable bunch. Harley steals the shows, as she always does.

COMICS: ANNIHILATION

Annhilation is probably my favorite Marvel event... ever. If you've ever heard me go on long (positive!) rants about comics, you probably know how I feel about it. See, this event brought into my radar for the very first time a lot of characters that a lot of people...just didn't really care about much. Sure, some of them were popular (Silver Surfer(, some would be a lot more (Nova) and others are all the rage these days (Starlord). But this? This was where it began for me. Annihilation is a story were the title villain, Annihilus releases something called the Annihilation wave upon the universe. Think of it as an unstopable space army from another universe. Point is..against impossible odds, who would stand against it? Turns out pretty much everyone able to.

Even after the destruction of the base planet of the Nova Corps, one man was left alive. That man is Richard Rider, and he quickly became one of my favorite comic book characters.Taking in the power of all the corps unto him, Rich sets out to try and stop the wave all by himself...but of course, he would never end up alone. Along the way he partners up with Drax the Destroyer, who you might have heard of from a small movie that released a while ago...I'm sure no one even remembers it. Joking aside, this was the point where after decades of being a Z-lister, Drax was brought back to the Marvel U.

In Annihilation, the threat to the universe is so big that old disputes are put aside, Kree like Ronan the Accuser (also on that small lil movie I mentioned) and Super-Skrull worked side-by-side for the first time. For once, we saw a heroic side of those we thought as one-dimensional enemies before. The scope of the series was insane, featuring characters with such power that even mighty Galactus fell to them. And even so, the joy in reading the story is in seeing all these people actually come together and unite against a common threat. All of this, while the Earth was on the midst of the superhuman Civil War. Kinda puts things into perspective doesn't it?

I could talk all day long about this event, but this would never be published as it would never end. Just go read it, and if you want to hear more about it, ask me! I'll be more than glad to talk about it.

Links:

Plight Schedule.

The featured header file (Photoshop 5)

The main Plight header file (Photoshop 5)

Watch Chaika

Loading poll...