New Computer Recommendation?

Hi everyone!

I have been toying with the idea of getting a new desktop computer for my bedroom. I haven't decided which kind I am going to get but I am leaning towards a new 2013 27 inch iMac. The reason being is that I use my iPad 2 as pretty much my sole computing device right now and it has been serving it's purpose pretty well for the most part. I figure that Microsoft Windows 8.1 is a shoddy OS and I can always run Parallels or Bootcamp if I need to run one of those programs. What are people's opinions on iMacs? I was even looking at a new Mac Pro since most reviews say you get ALOT for your money with the dual GPUs. However, I don't think for all intense and purposes, I will need that much raw processing power for basic word processing, e-mail, browsing of the Internet etc. Again, what are your opinions? What specs would you stick with? I am looking at forgoing a platter hard drive in exchange for a 500Gb or 256Gb solid state drive since I like speedy boot ups on my iPad. Maybe 8gb of ram to start since they are upgradable I can't see more than 16gb of ram in the future. I haven't decided if I will game that much on it yet so I don't know about video cards or whether the 1gb NVIDIA they include in the base 27 inch will be enough. Going back to hard drive space, I am thinking about putting a 4tb NAS on my home network to store most of my larger files like music and photos. Do you think 4tb is way too much to get? I am probably only using 500gb of my hard disk right now for music but wish to build my library eventually...

I have also been looking at gaming rigs from a company called Digital Storm but they are quite expensive and don't come with 4k monitors in their $3,000 price range for a solid i7 system with 16gb of memory. Hmm....there are just too many things to decide upon....

X

forgot?

Please choose a new Polygon username and password

As part of the new Polygon launch, prior users will need to choose a permanent username, along with a new password.

Your username will be used to login to Polygon going forward.

I already have a Vox Media account!

Verify Vox Media account

Please login to your Vox Media account. This account will be linked to your previously existing Eater account.

Please choose a new Polygon username and password

As part of the new Polygon launch, prior MT authors will need to choose a new username and password.

Your username will be used to login to Polygon going forward.

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.
Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_5353_tracker