Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, No. 13: In Search of a Band, Justice, or Just Some Donuts

Welcome to Plight I'm the new guy here and I'm about to bring you some hardcore great anime, cartoons, and comics manga. Well not exactly hardcore but still pretty awesome regardless. So let's jump right in.

So let's get the most obvious one out of the way first. The Simpsons is the longest running-American animated program and sitcom of all time. Let's face it no one is going to beat Sazae-San. The Simpsons is my favorite American TV of all time but I'm not here to talk to you about the entire show as a whole but the best season ever produced for it, Season 5. This season is the closest thing to a perfect season any show has ever seen. Homer goes back to college to get his degree, Mr. Burns finds his lost teddy, and Lisa battles Malibu Stacey and that is only three of the smart, sexy and seriously funny twenty-two episodes. There isn't a weak episode among the bunch, the "worst" episode is the Treehouse of Horror episode but even that is a great episode. But let's wrap up the Simpsons talk by focusing on what I considered the greatest episode of The Simpsons ever.

I_kill_you_right_now_medium

That's right everyone it's episode two of season five, Cape Feare. In this episode we find Bart receiving letters from someone wanting to kill to kill him. We learn very soon that man is Sideshow Bob, the man who once framed Krusty the Clown and tried to killed Selma Bouvier. This entire episode is a parody of the movie of the same name. Where some parodies fall flat at times this one is executed perfectly. With hundreds of quotes that will stick with you for years later ('No one who speaks German is evil'" or "Hello Mr. Thompson"). Kelsey Grammar shines above up and beyond in this memorable episode.

Also don't forget this episode gave us this amazing scene.

Ssbobrake_medium

Nine times he gets hit by the rake. Talk about taking the rule of three to a whole new level. Let's move on.

Phoenix Wright the loveable hero of the Ace Attorney games made a leap into the world of manga back in 2011 (2007 for original Japanese release)for a five volume release. These books are basically smaller versions of the games but all the trials are new, so nothing is getting rehashed here. For those who don't know what Ace Attorney is, they are a serious of visual novel games where you play a lawyer who is tasked with solving crimes and proving his client innocent. The stories are very well written with a good mix of comedy and drama to balance each other and are captured perfectly across the five volumes. Phoenix and Maya Fey (his assistant) are always showing up at the wrong place and wrong time. They usual get forced in helping the case whether it's a friend in trouble or Maya volunteering Phoenix The stories might be shorter versions of the game's cases but that's fine honestly.. The cases in the game can last for a long time, so it's nice to see the books make the cases shorter and more direct. One investigation and one trial make up each of the stories featured through out. A lot of characters from the games make cameo appearances along with all the new people, so fans of the games will surely love the references. These books are a fun read that anyone can get into. I really enjoyed that all the crimes involved the same theme of a "locked room murder." This made the stories more engaging and made me want to solve them before the book gave away the answer. I highly recommend these for people who want to get into Ace Attorney without feeling overwhelmed. Also shouting OBJECTION!!! every time it is written is always fun.

Ee10d1754d70d2f5af0191059bead7b9c4026c927188e34239212ea4_medium

Alright time to move onto the grand finale.

BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad an amazing anime about a boy looking to add a little more excitement to his life. Yukio "Koyuki" Tanaka is your everyday average fourteen year old boy who just finds life to be really boring. Until one day he meets Ryusuke Minami, a guitar prodigy. Ryusuke shows Koyuki the world of music and soon influences him into learning to play the guitar. The story focuses on BECK (the band's name) and their attempt to make it in the music industry. We mostly follow from Koyuki's point of view as he deals with being in the band and his relationship with the people around him. I first heard about this anime from a top ten list of anime in 2008 and I was interested because of the music factor. But man once I picked up the first volume I was hooked so hard that I practically bought the entire series over the course of one week. Thanks FYE for having that buy one get one free Funimation sale.

Beck_mongolian_chop_squad_medium

Man this anime is so perfect in almost all regards, the story, the cast, the music. Nothing about this anime I can find a negative point about. The story might be about Koyuki but his supporting cast is just as interesting. The hot head rapper Chiba Tsunami (voiced perfectly by Justin Cook in the English version) is always looking to start a fight and protect his friends. The mature bass player Taira is always offering words of advice to other members of the band. Saitou the perverted former Olympic swimmer teaches Koyuki how to play guitar in exchange for help at his job. All these characters offer great things to the story and none of them feel out of place or wasted.

Though my favorite character is Maho (girl on the right in the picture), the half-sister of Ryusuke who builds a relationship with Koyuki. The anime maybe a slice of life anime featuring music but it also does romance as well. The relationship these two build from Koyuki insulting her ability to read Japanese to them finally getting together is a great journey that left me on the edge of my seat waiting for them to finally be together in the end. I could write an entire Polygon post about the awesomeness that is BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad but I'll save everyone the time and tell you to just watch it. If you haven't seen it then shame on you, it's $15.00 on Amazon. Go buy it or find some way to watch I don't care you need to see this show. Also it has one of the best opening songs used in an anime along with the animation that goes with it.

Well everyone that was my Plight, hope you all enjoyed it. I hope I offered some interesting things to check out even if I did do The Simpsons for my cartoon.So let's get to discussing about whatever you guys want to talk about below.

Plight Schedule

Plight Featured Header

Plight Main Header

Buy BECK

X

forgot?

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.
Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_5353_tracker