Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders

Welcome back to yet another overflow thread. This one actually written so in advance, I'm not sure I'll get a chance to use it! But I was bored! So what the hell, here we go.

To read my post on A Silent Voice and The Legend of Korra, Book 3: Change go HERE

To read my post on Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders go HERE

So you're probably thinking, what could this guy possibly talk about now? Well, that one's easy...

CURRENT ANIME NEWS: SUMMER SEASON

Long overdue, but better late than never! Coming up next is a list of anime I'm watching this season, and some short thought on it. Is it good? Bad? Meh? Let's see!

SWORD ART ONLINE II

Let's start with the big elephant in the room: just how is SAOII? I mean, I think most of us agree the second arc of the first season was quite the disappointment, right? Well, this one is...actually pretty good. So far we have a murder mystery, a kickass new character, and an intriguing game setting. Sure there are a ton of ways they could screw it up, but I'm staying positive. So far, they are on the path of redeeming themselves from how bad ALO was. Sinon is great, and I can't wait to learn more about her.

Re_Hamatora

While I had fun watching the first season, I have to be brutally honest...this one is boring me. I actually have only watched the first two episodes, because I decided I;d just wait for a few more to be released so I can plow through them. I'm still interested in it, and I want to know how and why [SPOILERS] came back, but it's just full of missed opportunities. Season was promoted as featuring the duo of Murasaki and Hajime, but as of the second episode Hajime is back to background status. Just...why? I certainly hope it gets better, I had decent hopes for this anime.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders

Jojo continues being Jojo, action is still over the top and the characters are as entertaining as ever. I don't know what else to say as I already talked about it on the previous post, but it's really good fun.

The Irregular at Magic School

Want to know a lil secret? I kinda dropped this one right as the season started. Didn't even get a chance to listen to the new OP (which I doubt can be as good as Rising Hope, that was probably my favorite OP of the last season). It's just...I really got tired of it. Like...the Tatsuya worship and the sister stuff...not for me. This one also fall on the train of "sometime later I'll just marathon through the rest of it".

Captain Earth

So after setting up the threats during last season, the enemy faction -which is totally called Team Rocket- is finally together. But things might not be as they seem when we realize there just might be someone else manipulating everyone behind the scenes. Also, the kids get new mechs and belly button forte returns. Because reasons.

Sailor Moon Crystal

Let me preface this by saying that I had never, ever, watched anything even remotely related to Sailor Moon like...at all. So yeah, I'm the very definition of someone coming in fresh to the series. Only two episodes have been released so far, but they were pretty neat. Had a several funny moments and the characters are fine. Art style took a bit getting used to, but -at least for me- not more than it would've taken to get used to the art style of the older series (oh please don't murder me, I was one year old when it ended for crying out loud).

Glasslip

I really don't know how to describe this one well. It's a slow paced story about a bunch of friends, but mainly about this one girl that can see the future as long as she is close to this one other guy. While that might sound like it is the central point of the series, it's far from it. The actual focus of the series is the relationship between this group of people and that includes situations where A falls in love with B who is actually in love with Y but that one loves X. Yeah. Oh, and chickens. There are chickens in this show.

Argevollen

Another one that honest to goodness bored me. I stopped halfway through episode three because I was literally falling asleep. I mean, yeah, it was super late at night but if something actually interests me, you're damn sure I'm not going to fall asleep watching it. So far this one was just a generic mech anime. And as of what I watched, I didn't really find something to distinguish it from the other bunch of stuff. Maybe it has something, I just haven't found it yet.

Aldnoah Zero

First of all, the music for this series is just spectacular. It just has a sense of epicness like no other show this season. Here's an example [SPOILERS FOR EPISODE 1] . It's just incredible, I tell you. As for the series itself, while maybe not as glorious as its music -yet- it is actually really good. What sticks with me about the series is how smart the characters are, and not in a one dimensional way. For every battle, there is a strategy in action. They're not just making up s*** as they go, they actually think things through. Not only that, but the series has a feeling of real danger unlike most. Hell, look up who directed it. You know people are going to die.

Locodol

Well sign me up for "anime I never expected to like" because I had seriously no idea I'd end up watching this. It seriously looked like something I wouldn't even give a second glance to, but for some reason I watched it and...stuck with it. It's just lighthearted fun, that's what it is. I've never actually watched any idol anime, but this doesn't really feel like one...it's more of a slice of life where two girls are trying to promote stuff in their small town. It's not great by any means, but it's refreshing to watch I guess.

Rail Wars!

Rail Wars is not really that good. I mean, I actually expected to like it a lot more. I guess the premise had a lot of...well, promise. It's not bad, mind you, it just focuses to much on the PLOT and too little on the plot. At least, that's my take on it. Otherwise, it's at least entertaining. And both the opening and ending themes are pretty cool. Also, there are trains in it. Choo Choo.

Akame ga Kill!

This was actually the anime I was most expecting this season due only to the fact that it looked cool. Yeah, my reasons suck. But guess what? We got a winner here, because this anime has been consistently good. While at first I was really disappointed (actually, I still am) that Akame is actually not the main character, and more of a secondary one used as the face of the series, once you get past that you have a really good show. Full of -uncensored- fast paced action, fluid animation, colorful characters and a bit of humor here and there; Akame ga Kill is one of the series I look forward to the most every week. A group of assassins murder everyone who they see as unjust, and a new recruit joins them looking for justice after he found out that the city was not what it looked like. Some people have special weapons, and if wearers fight each other, one of them must die. As I said, it's fun. Go, watch it. I actually recommend this one.

Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun

This show right here is the very definition of "don't judge a book anime by its cover". What on the outside looks like a generic romance anime, is actually one of the most hilarious anime I have watched and definitely the best comedy of the season. There is no telling what will happen in any episode, because the ride can really go anywhere. Crazy characters are the order of the day and you never know what they'll do next. A manga artist gets confessed to by a girl, but he misunderstood it as her confessing to be a fan of his work instead of, well, him. Somehow, she ends up working with him. And wait, did I mention? It's hilarious. I did? Well, it's worth repeating. Favorite comedy of the season,and on its way to becoming my favorite show of the season. I actually didn't expect that.

Blue Spring Ride

Filling the quota of "romance show I watch for the season", Blue Spring Ride main you-will-end-as-a-couple characters first met as kids and fall in love, but after being separated for years they are reunited once high school starts. The thing is, their relationship is not an easy one to rekindle as both have changed substantially. And it's not only a journey of finding love for the main character, it's about finding out who her real friends are.

Sabagebu! -Survival Game Club-

Add another strong comedy to the list, because this one is also really good. Basically this girl gets (hilariously) forced to join a survival game club which is composed of a bunch of weird girls. There’s a 4th wall breaking narrator that’s actually funny, and the main character is not one to be messed with…she always gets her revenge. The cast of characters is great and funny,w e have the really awkward leader that everyone admires, the model that everyone envies, a devoted masochist, and a cosplaying addict. And then there's Momoka. You do not mess with Momoka. Also, there is a platypus in there somewhere, plus references that go from Michael Jackson to Chuck Norris and a bunch of other stuff. Yes, Sabagebu is fun.

Invaders of the Rokujyoma!?

Remember how my reaction to this show was initially something a long the lines of "WTF did I just watch?". It’s actually good. I mean, at least, I really like it. It’s just fun. Basically there’s this dude that gets a super cheap apartment, but a bunch of girls try to fight him for it for different reasons. We have a ghost that says she lived there before, an alien girl that needs a new subjugate, an underground queen who wants to use it as a base to rule the surface world, a magical girl cosplayer (poor girl might be my favorite, she gets bullied too much!) and it’s all rounded up by the landlady that is way too OP and somehow takes classes with the MC (High Schooler landlady ‘cause reasons) and the president of the sewing club. It’s super weird but it is also hilarious at times. I like it.

And..uh...that's it. I'm not watching anything else this season. What are you watching?

LINKS:

Plight Schedule.

The featured header file (Photoshop 5)

The main Plight header file (Photoshop 5)

Plightcast 12: Stream / Download

(EXTRA) COMIC CON INTERVENTION:

So yeah, Comic Con happened recently. I didn't like it as much as other recent ones, I expected a bit more but we can't say we didn't get good stuff. From Avengers: Age of Ultron information to Wonder Woman, Korra, Arrow and more...what was your favorite thing to come out of Comic Con?