Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 30

Today's header comes to you from Revolurt

Welcome to Polygon Daily. What is this thread you ask? It's your daily community open thread where you're given the floor to talk about anything that's caught your eye over the past 24 hours. Just be sure to stick to the Polygon community guidelines and we'll be golden, folks.

NEWS

• Nintendo Lost $97m Last Quarter Even With The Success Of Mario Kart 8 by Emily Gera
  • You Can Pre-Order This Beautiful $365 Metroid Statue Starting Today by Michael McWhertor
  • Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare Is 'The Equivalent Of Four Hollywood Movies' Says Sledgehammer by Colin Campbell
  • Animal Crossing Chief Celebrates Greater Diversity At Nintendo by Colin Campbell
  • League Of Legends Has An Adorable New Champion, And A Reworked Veteran by Michael McWhertor
  • You'll Still Get To Customize Your Dragon Age: Inquisition Story, But Later Than Expected by Megan Farokhmanesh
  • FEATURES

• Riot Taught Me League Of Legends (And Now I'M Teaching You) by Alexa Ray Corriea
  • REVIEWS

• The Last Of Us Review Update: Remastered On Ps4 by Philip Kollar
  • FORUM POSTS

• Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 29 by Shaun McIlroy
  • Xbox One Update Beta Invites by jdelroyc
  • Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28 by Shaun McIlroy
  • Tell Us Your Story by Woady
  • Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation by Shaun McIlroy
  • Nicalis hints at Gex Remake by darthangel310
  • COTD

I think one thing a lot of people seem to miss about Joel is that he can be an ornery, unlikeable, murderous, barely-social piece of garbage and still have "good" traits – protective of children, loving music, a bit of a sense of humor, etc. Because y’know what? A lot of total bastards in the real world are like that too.

Joel is a lot more human than most video game protagonists, who tend to be either gruff, soulless meat sacks (every shooter protagonist ever) or wisecracking slot machines (Nathan Drake) who can’t take any situation seriously without forcing the player to experience a wave of extreme cognitive dissonance.

I think people mistake Joel’s positive traits for being the developers attempting to make the players LIKE him, when really those traits are there to help the players UNDERSTAND him.

by Archaotic - 7 Recommends

And that's it for today Polynauts. Tune in tomorrow for more Polygon Daily news updates. If you're looking to create a header like the one used up top, then check out the Polygon Daily header thread.

And remember however to subscribe to our @Polygon Twitter feed for all breaking news, and @Polynauts for community updates throughout the day.