Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 16-17

Today's header comes to you from zombie711

Welcome to Polygon Daily. What is this thread you ask? It's your daily community open thread where you're given the floor to talk about anything that's caught your eye over the past 24 hours. Just be sure to stick to the Polygon community guidelines and we'll be golden, folks.

NEWS

• Nintendo Responds To Petition To Include Robin Williams Tribute In Zelda Game by Colin Campbell
  • The Witcher 3 Has Its Own In-Game Card Game Called 'Gwent' by Michael McWhertor
  • Pokemon Is Coming To The Ipad ... As A Card Game! by Chris Plante
  • Watching The Halo Channel Unlocks In-Game Rewards In Halo 5, The Master Chief Collection by Michael McWhertor
  • Behold The Tender Art Of Not Dying Of Starvation In Clockwork Empires by Ben Kuchera
  • Ikaruga And Radiant Silvergun Director Has A New Shooting Game For Ps4 by Michael McWhertor
  • Assassin's Creed Rogue Lets You Assassinate The Assassins by Tracey Lien
  • All About Élise And Assassin's Creed Unity's Love Story by Colin Campbell
  • Now You Can Share A Coke With A League Of Legends Character by Samit Sarkar
  • What Happens When You're Too Old To Play League Of Legends Professionally? by Emily Gera
  • FEATURES

• The Hollywood Super Agency Behind Respawn, Obsidian And Turtle Rock by Matt Leone
  • REVIEWS

• Hohokum Review: All Sizzle by Philip Kollar
  • FORUM POSTS

• Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 15 by Shaun McIlroy
  • Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 16.2: Chris Houlihan was... by zombie711
  • Robin Williams: The Man that Taught Me to Laugh. by Woady
  • Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (August 2014) by Shaun McIlroy
  • Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall by glenngunnerzero
  • Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation by Shaun McIlroy
  • COTD

Well, I’m driving down to Albany (pronounce All-Bunny) NY this afternoon. The wife and kids are coming as well. There is a small/casual fencing tourament that I will be competing in.

It is actually a memorial event for my long time coach and mentor. The guy was a piece of work; I have never met anyone like him. He was the greatest of teachers, an inspiration to me on so many levels, and a complete asshole. We read legends about how "giants used to walk the earth", but he really was like that. The whole room would change when he came in. Everyone who met him has stories about him. Usually, everyone who spent time with him get their best anecdotes from their adventures with him. I mostly interacted with him when I was between 13 and 18, and so many things we did were just not age appropriate.

I miss him so damned much, and the world is a darker place without him. So much of who I am springs from my time with him. I think I am a better person for trying to take the best from his life, and dropping out all the crap. His name was Alex, and he was great.

Yeah, sorry for sharing. I had to get that off my chest.

by Sabre IS Sabre - 10 Recommends

And that's it for today Polynauts. Tune in tomorrow for more Polygon Daily news updates. If you're looking to create a header like the one used up top, then check out the Polygon Daily header thread.

And remember however to subscribe to our @Polygon Twitter feed for all breaking news, and @Polynauts for community updates throughout the day.