The Pull List #3: Queen Of The Rats

Welcome welcome welcome everyone! Back to the topic that I'm pretty sure about 4 people read, and three of them are me and the two ghosts that haunt me. Hey so this week has some cool books, and also ones that aren't all Marvel all the time!(Ones Marvel, so don't worry my fanboyism will shine through) So less terrible jokes and more writing that's what I always say!

Rat Queens #9:

RatQueens_09-1.0.png

Rat Queens, this is a book that sort of came out of nowhere for me initially, in fact I only ever actually read for a book club but man is it a great time. Rat Queens takes place in just about the most generic D&D universe you can imagine, Orcs, Goblins, Gnomes and Guilds of men all named a variation of Dave. However, this same universe is MUCH truer to life than what you might expect. People from all walks of life exist in this fantasy universe, hell it's may well be one of the most inclusive books on the shelf. You got characters who are bi-sexual, you got transsexual orc chiefs, you got hipster dwarf women(they shaved their beard BEFORE it was cool) you even have an entire religion based around worshiping a flying squid god that deals almost solely in death and destruction. Don't worry though the book is far from a checklist, the main story deals with the eponymous Rat Queens, a questing guild comprised of 4 women covering the whole gamut of generic RPG roles (Theif, Warrior, Cleric, Mage. Good old reliability) To be honest the last issue was a spin off focusing on Braga the orc and the last issue before that feels like forever ago....I can't even remember what story line was happening. Check it out if you just want a fun book that has a little bit for pretty much every reader who picks it up.

Couldn't find a preview listing for this one sorry.

Hellboy And The B.P.R.D #4:

HBYBPRD-4-FC-FNL-4x6-93735.0.jpg

Oh man Hellboy, do you read Hellboy? If yes then you know how insanely PAINFUL the wait between issues of Hellboy is. This isn't even the main book, it's a flashback spin off that Mignola is so fond of doing. Hell last year we got one(ONE) issue of the mainline Hellboy series. So excuse me but as a huge Hellboy fan I'll take anything with the character in it. Luckily we don't have to settle for crap with the character bolted on. Hellboy and the BPRD is the chronicle of Hellboys very first field mission, he may look fully grown but Hellboy is little more than fourteen years old during this series, regardless this book features all the Hellboy action you could want. Presuming the Hellboy action you want is hordes of franken-monkeys or evil castles atop hills(of course who doesn't want these things?) If you've seen and liked the movies maybe give this book a try? But be warned, the Hellboy universe is far less straightforward than you'd expect, it's mythology is rich and complex, if you can get into it all power to you, but it can be confusing early on.

Little preview for you right here.

Saga #26:

Saga_26.0.jpg

Ahhh Saga, what a book this is. I've heard from at least six different people that they "don't read comics but do read Saga". Saga is a book that literally everyone I've met who reads it enjoys. The basic story is of two lovers and new parents Alana and Marko, simply trying to raise their child in a universe that's so set in it's ways it simply doesn't want to let these two parents live their lives, it would rather kill them and continue the worthless war that's been raging between their two species for ages. But Saga is so much more than a plot synopsis, it's almost impossible for me to describe this book well. There's so many characters and story threads and man it's near impossible to write about this, I basically just want to write "So good" over and over again. Do you want to see bounty hunters dealing with everything that isn't hunting bounty's? learn the true opposite of war? See a cat that can detect whenever people lie? Or maybe you just want to see a very honest, tragic look on PTSD through the lens of a robot with a TV for a head. Like I said, it's nearly impossible to describe this book but if you decide to read it, I PROMISE you you'll like it.

No preview for this one but honestly? That's absolutely for the best, you don't want to see any pages before you crack this book open.

Avengers #43:

aven2012042-koblish-115534-600x900.0.jpg

Last week I wrote about New Avengers, and I'm pretty sure I mentioned Avengers as well. Well hear I am to say it again: This is a strange, dark series that flies in the face of what people expect from The Avengers after the movie. Avengers as a series is right now is heavy with it's themes, grim with it's story of dead and dying universes and an overall heavy book to read. There isn't much fun banter in this book, hell in the last issue a council of other species in the universe just about outright condemned the earth to death in order to save their worlds. If you've been reading this book than you know that deep down it's an enthralling read and Hickman KNOWS the long game of story telling, but getting their has been slow, strange and dark. Also this is a super hero book I guess....

No preview for this dude either this week, really letting you down aren't I?

Scooby Doo Team Up #9:

STK666726.0.jpg

Want to know something about me? I LOVE Scooby Doo. I love it so much you guys. I've seen basically all the TV shows(sans some of the harder to find ones) almost every direct to video movie, the new stuff, the old stuff, the times they teamed up with the Harlem Globetrotters even the time they showed up on an episode of Johnny Bravo. I'm 22 and I don't think I'll ever stop loving the adventures of Mystery Inc. Hell I could go for this whole description just talking about my favorite series, episodes or movies or whatever(I could even go on about the TERRIBLE live action movie) but It just wouldn't be about this book.....Actually now that I think about it there's not a whole ton of stuff I can say to explain this book. It's Scooby Doo and the gang teaming up with various DC super heroes, there's just an incredible sense of fun through all of it, playing with the tropes of Scooby Doo and DC comics alike. You know what, I choose to believe this book is as canon as canon gets, you need supernatural problems solved in the DC Universe you just call the gang.

Zoinks! Not even a preview for this one!

Again, hope I helped you guys find some good books this week, until next time! Or the comments!(What comments?)