Polynauts Central: (Fri 26/10 Archived)

21m6knq.jpg

Today's header image brought to you by AndrewNino.

It's Friday, October 26th and we're here once again in our new digs here at Polynauts Central on Polygon. What is Polynauts Central? Well, it's your place for off-topic discussion and brief update on the past day of events in that 'Wonderbook' we call Polygon. After two nights of late, late finishes I'm going to be floaty this weekend ahead of Polynauts LIVE on Sunday night, and just sleep all day tomorrow. To that end, Paddy will return with more PC madness tomorrow, as you'd expect.

Right., as it's my first Polynauts Central (PC) over here on Polygon proper, please, go easy on me..

Here are some Community focused regular topics.

POLYGON NEWS

bpg_009_thumb_blank.0_standard_420.0.jpg

1: THE STRESSFUL LIFE OF MIDDLE EASTERN GAME DEVELOPERS AND REALITY OF THEIR CRAFT by Tracey Lien

Late one night last year, the Iranian-born game developer received an unexpected call from an uncle who had just returned from Iran. Unlike his usual calls, this wasn't an update telling Khonsari how his family in Iran was doing or how he enjoyed the trip. Instead, it was about the video game Khonsari was making. Khonsari's game, 1979, tells the story of the Iranian hostage crisis that took place in the same year. A government-run newspaper in Iran, Kayhan, somehow found out about it. The paper labelled it Western propaganda. If the news got into the hands of the wrong people, his uncle told him, it could spell trouble for both him and his family.

His uncle's message was clear: Khonsari couldn't safely return to Iran.

freezerbeefshirt.0_standard_1500.0.jpg

2: MEDAL OF HONOR WARFIGHTER REVIEW: RULES OF ENGAGEMENT by Arthur Gies

Still, the basic mechanical underpinnings of Medal of Honor Warfighter are sound. They're built on the foundation of Battlefield 3, which has proven to be one of the most popular online first person shooters in history. Movement and shooting aren't as snappy as some shooters, but there's a great balance between momentum and a sense of weight and consequence.

Danger Close's addition of the lean-mechanic from the campaign makes for an interesting tactical wrinkle, though it's less effective against actual human beings than it is against brain-dead AI fodder. But Medal of Honor Warfighter is derailed by consistently botched design choices that make its mechanical competency frustrating to find.

wasteland_2.0_standard_1500.0.jpg

3: MASS EFFECT: PARAGON LOST PREVIEW OFFERS 9-MINUTE LOOK AT MASS EFFECT 3 ANIME PREQUEL by Michael McWhertor

Mass Effect fans hungry for even more story to complement Mass Effect 3 can preview nine minutes of the upcoming anime prequel, Mass Effect: Paragon Lost, thanks to Funimation.

The animated movie focuses on the early career of Mass Effect 3's James Vega, voiced by Freddie Prinze, Jr. In Paragon Lost, Vega leads a special forces team in battle against an invading alien threat known as The Collectors. Animation studio Funimation promises an "unprecedented glimpse into the haunted past of Mass Effect's newest hero."

cover.0_standard_1500.0.jpg

4: WINDOWS 8 MARKETPLACE WILL SELL 'MATURE' GAMES AFTER ALL by Tracey Lien

Microsoft is changing its guidelines for content on the Windows 8 Markeplace after the original guidelines barred developers and publishers from uploading content rated "mature" onto the store.

Under section 6.2 of the original guidelines, the Windows 8 Marketplace did not give certification to games or apps with a rating over PEGI 16, ESRB Mature or a corresponding rating under other ratings systems. This meant that games like Dishonored, Max Payne 3, Spec Ops: The Line, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 and others would not be available in the Marketplace in territories like Europe, where all of the above games are rated PEGI 18.

Air_raid_1000

5: Family unearths rare Atari game from storage, it could sell for $30,000 by Alexa Ray Corriea

An original cartridge for Air Raid, a shoot-em-up from Men-A-Vision published for the Atari 2600 in 1982 and considered the console's rarest title, surfaced on video game auction site GameGavel earlier this week, skyrocketing to a high bid of nearly $18,000 in less than a day.

"We occasionally get mega rare items like this listed on GameGavel," site founder and owner Mike Kennedy told Polygon. "We really have a hardcore community of retro gamers so it's a great place to feature an auction like this."

FROM THE FORUMS

1: Awful Games you Love, Amazing Games you Hate by Admiral Oink

What are games, that when you played you thought, "This isn't what people said it. would be at all" Mine, isn't really regarded as an awful game but there is definitely mixed opinions about it.

Splinter Cell: Conviction -I thought it was absolutely amazing!

My other one is a game that is almost unanimously praised, but I don't hate it, I just never cared for it.

GTA4

2: Mechanical Keyboards: Yay or Nay by Thebass

Being a writer, I love the feel of a good keyboard. I love my Macbook Pro for typing (one of the reasons why I have it), but I am also thinking about getting a mechanical keyboard for my Windows machine.

I have used them in the past, but not for posting long articles. I used one to play Battlefield 3 and I loved the feel and the power!

So, what do you say, Polygon?

3: Unpopular Opinions Thread by RPGee

So here's a good topic that's always necessary in a decent forum: a place to say something really dumb/unpopular and hopefully not get bullied/trolled/made fun of. Literally anything about anything can be said here.

Basically, don't be an arse for once. Without further ado:

Persona 3's music is way better than Persona 4, even though Persona 4 is the better game.

OPINIONS GO!

4: Which of my fellow Polygoners also love Fifa? by benr

If there are a few of us, we could drop our gamertags into a big virtual hat and organise a tournament.

POLYNAUTS COMMENT OF THE DAY:

I wonder when will my header make it...

Revolurt (11 Recommends)

Every day there will only be one comment from the previous thread. It's decided based upon the most recommends an individual receives for their comment; should two people have the same rating then both comments will be posted.

Okay, there we have another day's worth of Polynews. Remember to sound off in the comments below and share any awesome news you find today. As always check out the @Polygon feed on Twitter to keep up to date. There's also our own @Polynauts Twitter feed for you to shout us if you see something AMAZING that should be featured on tomorrows Polynauts Central.

NOTES:

New to the Polygon Community? Please take time to read our Polygon Community Guidelines. It contains a handy bunch of information on how to get the most out of the community.

If you're a fan of the image up top and want to submit your own, remember to keep them coming for later Polynauts Central posts, GIF's included, at this link. Have a good day folks.

X

forgot?

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

Spinner

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_5353_tracker