Polynauts Central (31/10 Archived)

21m6knq.jpg

Today's Halloween-themed header image is brought to you, once again by shawnw

It's Wednesday, October 31st and the creeps have arrived once more here on Polynauts Central. What is Polynauts Central? Well, it's your place for off-topic discussion and brief updates on the past day of events - or your daily Polygon community thread.

It's Halloween....Spooky(xelectric) as it may be I hope you, and your families are all safe should you be situated on the East coast of the United States - or indeed anywhere. Remember to please stay safe, and don't take any unnecessary risks.

Here are some Community focused regular topics from members of the Polygon community.

POLYGON NEWS

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1656015/connor_rooftop.jpeg

1: ASSASSIN'S CREED 3 REVIEW: IMPERFECT UNION by Arthur Gies

Assassin's Creed 3 has been rebuilt somewhat from the convoluted bloat of Assassin's Creed: Revelations gameplay systems, but it remains one of the most mechanically sophisticated action titles around. Players navigate environments via acrobatic free-running and climbing, though Connor is the most nimble Assassin yet, able to slide under or quickly vault over objects in his path.

Combat is a somewhat simplified version of the counter and chain kill systems introduced in previous games. Ostensibly this makes playing Assassin's Creed 3 easier, though it never felt particularly dumbed down.

skylander

2: NEED FOR SPEED MOST WANTED REVIEW: PARADISE FOUND by Chris Plante

With friends, Need for Speed Most Wanted's weaknesses become its strengths. Sprinting to the starting line on the far end of Fairhaven is suddenly its own little race. Events roll from one to the next with short intermissions between sets, keeping players out of the texting-while-driving menu. There are considerably more things to do, like team races, events that require the collaboration of the entire party and objectives that are in no way related to racing. After all, not everyone's the best street racer.

And if you're bad at everything, there are plenty of fun and infuriating ways to grief friends (e.g., parking in front of the ramp during the "make the furthest jump" event).

wasteland_2.0_standard_1500.0.jpg

3: PHIL TV by Jeff Dunn

"Let's Players," for the uninitiated, are more or less people who film themselves playing through video games while injecting their own personal commentary. The phenomenon — and it is indeed a phenomenon at this point — started as a series of forum threads, in which players would upload screenshots of the games they were playing and add accompanying text blurbs to describe what was going on. These naturally evolved into video form, and have since grown exponentially with the rise of YouTube and other video sharing sites.

Think of it like Mystery Science Theater 3000, only with video games, vloggers, poorer film quality and more candid observations from people that may or may not have gone to high school with you.

Passion is what makes the Let's Play world go round. It's that intangible personal touch that differentiates the Let's Play from simple gameplay footage — they thrive on the personalities of their composers. Some of those personalities are engaging, others are painfully awkward, but all of them share the same love as most of the people reading this site: video games.

cover.0_standard_1500.0.jpg

4: EA POSTS $381 MILLION QUARTERLY LOSS, BOASTS 'SHARP DIGITAL GROWTH' FROM FIFA AND BATTLEFIELD by Michael McWhertor

$324 million of EA's posted revenue was from digital sales, the company said, compared to $365 million in published packaged goods and other net revenue. EA CEO John Ricciitello says digital revenue at the publisher is up 40 percent year-over-year.

"On the strength of our digital extensions, FIFA and Battlefield are the two biggest revenue events in our company's history," EA president Frank Gibeau said in an earnings release. "Both are well on their way to becoming billion dollar annual franchises."

Air_raid_1000

5: DISNEY PURCHASES LUCASFILM IN $4 BILLION ACQUISITION DEAL, INCLUDES LUCASARTS by Griffin McElroy

Disney has acquired Lucasfilm, Ltd. in a massive acquisition which cost $4.05 billion, the two companies announced in a joint press release today.

The announcement is not without its fair share of surprises, including the reveal that Star Wars: Episode 7 is in production, and slated for a tentative 2015 release. The purchase also nets Disney all of the production company's subsidiaries, including Lucasfilm Animation and long-running video game developer and publisher LucasArts.

FROM THE FORUMS

1: WHERE DO YOU THINK PC GAMING IS HEADED NEXT? by DarthRiven

For years now, PC gaming has been at the forefront of gaming technology, be it on the software or hardware side. The past few years have seen innovations on the hardware side start moving to other platforms (motion sensing, touch), and with recent releases such as Assassin's Creed 3 being firstly released for consoles and Unfinished Swan trying something totally new with game concepts, I was wondering where you think the future of PC gaming lies? I think back to when the original Half-Life introduced us to such concepts as scripted events and an AI system that wasn't just "everything shoot at player"; to Portal bringing us, well, portals; to the modding community, past technologies like HDR debuted in Lost Coast...

In short, what new gaming concepts, programming features or hardware innovations do you think will become the cornerstones of PC gaming in the next 5 years?

2: WHERE CAN THE FPS GO NEXT? by Spearin

Twenty years ago, Hitler was encountered in a robotic suit. Now, we can blast away not-the-Taliban-but-actually-they-are-Taliban-please-don't-tell-the-media-but-actually-yeah-do-tell-because-it-will-sell-more-games. And we've killed everything in between.

A question arises in my mind every time I see a new shooter, and hear the spiel that it's "authentic" or "innovative" or features dismemberment, when in reality, it's refining a genre still firmly rooted in its own dogma...

How do you see the first-person-shooter genre progressing? Where can it go? What are its limits?

The genre is ripe for innovation. What does that innovation look like to you?

3: STAR WARS/ DISNEY FIASCO- GENERAL THOUGHTS, FEARS? by 64bithero

So we have most likely heard of the recent purchase by Disney of the Lucas name and the impending Star Wars title in 2015, but what do you think of this all?

I think we have another Jar-Jar on our hands, and honestly am not looking forward to the new title, as of now. Who knows, MAYBE this is a good thing...?

Will this new establishment and source bring new ideas, and possibly even bring new life into the franchise? The property itself has been expanded on very well recently in the realm of mini-series and video games, but is the jump to the Silver Screen premature?

Let out your frustrations and fears, anxieties and hopes.

4: CONSOLES / MEDIA CENTERS / NEXT GEN ... WHAT FEATURES DO YOU WANT? by twoBrokenThumbs

So something I have wanted for a while just popped into my head. I have a NAS set up at home, and all my music and movies are on it. If I want to watch something, I simply access it from my PS3. What I have always wanted is mkv file support on PS3 and was hopeful that it would come at some point because they added a lot of support from what was available at launch. My hope for that is long gone since we are at the end of the generation, but what about next gen? Will they add that sort of thing? So, it is a simple item but fairly high on my wish list for the next gen.

What about you? What do you want for the next gen...non-gaming related that is. How do you use your console?

5: WHAT ARE YOUR SCARIEST MOMENTS/MEMORIES FROM NON-HORROR GAMES? by Mr. Omega

Somewhat inspired from another thread in the forums, I decided to get a little more specific and ask a similar, but different question: What particular moments from games do you remember terrifying you? And to make things more challenging and varies among you fine folks: which moments can you think of from games that weren't a horror game?

Now to add a little more variety, this can be split into two categories: Recent and Childhood. What scares us now is certainly much different than what scared us many years ago. And how we scare ourselves has also changed. And let's face it, folks. When we were younger, we got scared of some silly things...

Now to be fair, I'll share my own stories first, but you can keep it as short as you want

POLYNAUTS COMMENT OF THE DAY:

"But I am taking it back to exchange it."

LulzJager (5 Recommends)

Every day there will only be one comment from the previous thread. It's decided based upon the most recommends an individual receives for their comment; should two people have the same rating then both comments will be posted.

Okay, there we have another day's worth of Polynews. Remember to sound off in the comments below and share any awesome news you find today. As always check out the @Polygon feed on Twitter to keep up to date. There's also our own @Polynauts Twitter feed for you to shout us if you see something AMAZING that should be featured on tomorrows Polynauts Central.

NOTES:

New to the Polygon Community? Please take time to read our Polygon Community Guidelines. It contains a handy bunch of information on how to get the most out of the community.

If you're a fan of the image up top and want to submit your own, remember to keep them coming for later Polynauts Central posts, GIF's included, at this link. Have a good day folks.

*Will make it magical purple later - on my way out the door*

X

forgot?

Please choose a new Polygon username and password

As part of the new Polygon launch, prior users will need to choose a permanent username, along with a new password.

Your username will be used to login to Polygon going forward.

I already have a Vox Media account!

Verify Vox Media account

Please login to your Vox Media account. This account will be linked to your previously existing Eater account.

Please choose a new Polygon username and password

As part of the new Polygon launch, prior MT authors will need to choose a new username and password.

Your username will be used to login to Polygon going forward.

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.
Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_5353_tracker