Polynauts Central: Surprise Closeup! (Archived 1/11)

dfU2I.png

Today's header image brought to you by Revolurt.

Today is Thursday, November 1st and we're here at Polynauts Central on Polygon. What is Polynauts Central? Well, it's your place for off-topic discussion and brief update on the past day of events in the realm of Polygon -- Or your daily Polygon community thread!

Surprise! Slenderman is here to say farewell to October and welcome you all into November. And so begins the ramp up for end of year craziness.

POLYGON NEWS

1: "Press Reset: Episode Ten - "Post Launch" by Polygon Staff

"Just after we turned Polygon live I asked a developer friend of mine over IM, "So, what do you think of the site?" Her response was: "loads fast; looks great in IE." Reading those words was like hearing the best kind of dance music. Suddenly the stress and exhaustion that had been building death-stars in my brain was dispelled, replaced with a big smile and desire to do things like jump up and down, drink whiskey, and verbalize exclamation points. Those were great words to hear because they meant that our many, many hours of hard work had paid off, in the way that makes the most difference to our writers and readers: we launched a site that works well and is beautiful."

special_spot_4.0_standard_1000.0.jpeg

2: "Exploring Player Agency Through Art" by Tracey Lien

"David Hellman's artwork is an invitation. His painterly landscapes and layered compositions invite viewers to look deeply, to look carefully. They invite viewers to explore with their eyes and see the possibilities in the details - to observe interesting rock formations and consider what lies beyond the mountains and the gullies. In his upcoming comic, Second Quest, on which he is collaborating with writer Tevis Thompson, his art will once again serve as an invitation. It will be an invitation inspired by The Legend of Zelda.

It is this marriage of art and writing that Hellman and Thompson hope will invite readers to explore and discover a fictional world in ways they believe many modern video games are failing to do."

soul.0_standard_1500.0.jpg

3: "Marvelous faces lawsuit over an alleged hostile attempt to takeover indie studio" by Tracey Lien

"Marvelous AQL, a Japanese company best known for publishing Harvest Moon: A New Beginning, Rune Factory and Soul Sacrifice is being taken to court after the CEO of an indie studio alleged that the company tried to initiate a hostile takeover of the studio to avoid a $2.5 million payment, Gamasutra reports.

The CEO of start-up studio Checkpoint, Brian Wiklem, alleges that Marvelous paid his studio $2.5 million in start-up costs in exchange for a 35 percent share of the studio (Wiklem would retain the remaining 65 percent) and ship two games by the end of 2012. He says Marvelous had promised to negotiate another similar deal for 2013."

300ppi_console_in_context_hr.0_standard_1500.0.jpg

4: "Ouya nows runs on Android Jelly Bean, developer kits still on target for December" by Tracey Lien

"Ouya, the $99, Android-powered, hackable game console that was funded on Kickstarter will run on Android's Jelly Bean operating system, the console's developer announced on its Kickstarter page today.

In the first update delivered since Sept. 14, the developer of the Ouya console said that the team was making the jump from Ice Cream Sandwich to Jelly Bean to ensure that the console is running the most up-to-date software."

haunts_wallpaper_870.0_standard_1500.0.jpg

5: "Haunts developer releases open source code, playable demo after project fizzles" by Dave Tach

"To celebrate Halloween and recent developments in transitioning the failed Kickstarter game Haunts: The Manse Macabre into an open-source project, Mob Rules Games' Rick Dakan has released a playable version for Windows, according a post on the game's Kickstarter blog.

"Well, [Halloween is] not as happy as we had originally planned, but happier than I feared it would be," Dakan wrote. "I want to thank all of you for sticking with us and for all the kindness and support you've offered in the past few weeks. It's been just plain amazing."

FROM THE FORUMS

1: "What is the greatest boss battle of all time?" by Symphony_Man

"A pretty simple question, many legitimate answers. Personally, The End from Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater wins hands down. After two and a half hours of slowly grinding him down I was met with an incredible sense of accomplishment followed by my taking a little break because my sweaty hands were aching after gripping the controller for too long. I bought a(nother) PS2 for that game, and even though back then $300 was a lot of money, it was totally worth it. In fact, MGS3 probably had the best cast of boss battle in the history of video games. What do you guys think?"

2: "Super old games that should have absolutely no business being scary" by sturmkonig

"I've recently been enjoying a spate of RETROGAMING because of burnout on Tokyo Jungle and in keeping with the dominant theme of the week I've been seeking out games from the SNES era and before that somehow manage to be scary despite being old as heck. In recent years I've come to grips with the fact that the quieter moments of Super Metroid absolutely terrify me because I'm afraid of dying alone and also that I was secretly raised by a race of mysteriously vanished owl people. I was also super impressed with Sweet Home for being a good rpg/adventure game hybrid on the NES that had a decent amount of atmosphere but NES-era design decisions keep that game from really being scary. If anyone dies it's just an enormous hassle to even try to continue do instead of "AAAAA" it's more "ugh."

I've heard good things about Clock Tower for SNES, but I haven't taken the plunge yet. Anyone else have any suggestions?"

3: "The Best of the Best - Top 25" by PrinceLUDA21

"Everyone has a favoruite. There will always be a list ranking the best of the best, and in some cases the worst of the worst.

Since I'm in a sharing mood, I thought I would take the time out to share with you all my top 25 games lists. Mostly every game on this list has impacted me in some way. To this day I still have multiple copies of these games, and play them every now and again. To me they have all aged well, or will."

4: "Time to let your old buddies shine - What game from the past holds you dear?" by obZen DF

"My old buddy from the past is called Deus Ex. You might remember that game. It came out in 2000 and it's a first person stealth-RPG with shooter elements. The most striking thing about it is that you have the freedom to explore and gather information to approach your objectives, discovering many secrets along the way."

So, what game from the past holds you dear?

POLYNAUTS COMMENT OF THE DAY:

And don't get captured by the lizard people.

Dinosaurcostume_medium

TheRealDoshu (3 Recommends)

Every day there will only be one comment from the previous thread. It's decided based upon the most recommends an individual receives for their comment; should two people have the same rating then both comments will be posted.

Okay, there we have another day's worth of Polynews. Remember to sound off in the comments below and share any awesome news you find today. As always check out the @Polygon feed on Twitter to keep up to date. There's also our own @Polynauts twitter feed for you to tweet us if you see something AMAZING that should be featured on tomorrows Polynauts Central.

NOTES:

New to the Polygon Community? Please take time to read the community guidelines. It contains a handy bunch of information on how to get the most out of the community.

If you're a fan of the image up top and want to submit your own, remember to keep them coming for later Polynauts Central posts, GIF's included, at this link.

Also, never forget: Cow is watching.

X

forgot?

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

Spinner

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_5353_tracker