Sir, You Are Needing Indie Games!

I don't like Indie Games.

Actually, no, that isn't quite right. It's not that I don't like indie games, it's that all too often, indie games aren't interesting to me. I don't care about the latest, multiplayer-only title any more than I do yet another 2D sidescroller, no matter how excellent either might be, because they aren't games I enjoy. Free to Play? Hah! I've already explained, in great detail, why I've no interest in them. It seems to me, quite often, that The Games I Want to Play and The Games Indie Developers Want to Make are fundamentally different experiences.

For some time, I've seen "Indie Gaming" as less about making great, interesting games, and more about making an angry, knee-jerk response to games or attitudes that already exist. It's hard for me to get excited about Indie Gaming when the scene appears to be dominated by the kind of mindset shared by people like Anna Anthropy. It reminds me a lot of the modern art scene and attitudes which have been dominant throughout the twentieth century. They run the risk of alienating the people who are supposed to, y'know, play their games. Fortunately, the rise of games like Chivarly: Medieval Warfare and Ravaged has helped relieve some of my concerns, but, as I mentioned above, they're not for me. I've gone from being frustrated to, more or less, feeling apathetic.

Judging by some conversations I've been having lately, other people feel the same way. It's good, then, that I'm starting to get excited about the potential for Indie gaming, because I don't like feeling the way I have been feeling, and I wager those of you that have expressed similar concerns don't like it either.

And that's why I'm here.

It's time to get excited about Indie games, people, and I've got just the selection of upcoming, awesome-looking titles to grab your attention.

Unfortunately, I'm also developing a massive headache, and part way through this post, my ability to put words onto the computer has failed me. So... this was intended to be better, but it's not working out that way. Meh, I'm just a guy on a forum trying to pass the time at a job that has a lot of downtime.

1. Sir, You Are Being Hunted

Landscape1_medium

The name alone should convince you that Big Robot's latest video game will be the greatest game ever created. You, the player, are trapped on a very British island, pursued by robotic hunters. "Sir, You Are Being Hunted" also features a sinister, disembodied butler, and why wouldn't you want to play a video game featuring a sinister butler? As I understand it, the game will play somewhere between STALKER and Thief, placing a tremendous emphasis on both survival and stealth elements. You can learn more, check out footage of the game (and support its Kickstarter) here!

2. Gunpoint

Blog_gunpointgame011_medium

I present, without comment, this tidbit from Gunpoint's Website:

You're a freelance spy, infiltrating high security buildings with subterfuge, gratuitous face-punching, and an unusual type of electronic sabotage. You can cross-link things like light switches and doors so that the guards unwittingly take out their own security systems, their colleagues, and even themselves. It's pretty funny.

3. Monaco

Mansion7_medium

Monaco is that game I would totally make if I had any ability to make video games. Because I can't, I'll leave it up to magical wizard Andy Schatz. Think "Top-down Borderlands by way of Ocean's 11." And, seriously, watch some video of it. The game looks bonkers fun!

5. Strike Suit Zero

8d9e2556cdb0cf0a9c637f7078951dbb_large_medium

Alright, alright, by now, you've probably guessed that this is a stealth stealth thread, so I'm going to pretend that isn't happening and introduce Strike Suit Zero. Imagine, if you will, Zone of the Enders having a baby with Homeworld by way of Halo: Reach's space dogfight sequence. Also, imagine that your space dogfighter is capable of transforming into a giant robot. If that doesn't tickle your fancy, then watch the gameplay video linked in the Kickstarter above. By the way, the music will be glorious, as the composer, Paul Ruskay, previously worked on Homeworld, which features one of the greatest soundtracks of all time.

6. Other games because oh god my head is hurting: today, I jumped on Rock, Paper, Shotgun, and they had three different games to show, all of which look excellent, so here you go:

Europa, which is apparently like Fallout 3, but not,

Abduction, which is so dark I can't see anything, but it looks awesome.

Miasmata, which looks pretty amazing, but apparently only has one enemy.

Alright, guys, hit me with your most exciting Indie Games! When I'm less headachey, I'll be adding them to the list!

X

forgot?

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_5353_tracker