New TV recommendations

Hey guys,

I'll be getting a new TV shortly for PS4 / Xbox One (around 50" budget $750-$1600), and I'm wondering if anyone has any personal advice/recommendations with newer television sets, I've read up on refresh rates and input lag etc., and although it goes over my head a little I'd like to know if it actually matters. I don't want a 3D TV but it seems that in order to get a TV with 120hz I'd need to go that way. Does 60hz vs 120hz make a difference or does that get switched to a default setting once in "game mode" anyway? (I remember 5 years ago 120hz just meant post-processing to smooth frame rates but it looked super weird in games) Also I know to make sure it has a "game setting" but does that actually make much of a difference anyway? How much post processing is done on newer TV's now? And finally am I better off avoiding a Smart TV so as to reduce input lag or is that all based on manufacturer (and quality of processor) anyway?

I've got my eye on Samsung's 5000 model which is only $750 but the 5500/6000 jumps up to $1k just for the addition of Smart TV or 120hz. Or there's Sony's 55W802 but that's $1.5k and I feel like I'd be spending twice the cash on 3D & Smart when I wouldn't use it anyway.

Thanks very much and if you have any suggestions or article links I'd love to see them!