PS4 advertising strategies and UEFA Champions League Final next month....

A story I read today reminded me of the fact that Sony recently extended its contract with UEFA for sponsorship via the Playstation brand through to 2015. This, coupled with Yoshida-san's recent tweet posting of a PS4 "Controller Ad" in London-- the site of this year's Champions League Final match-- makes me wonder a few things:

1) Is Sony going to show a full 30 or 60sec ad during the CL Final, or will it simply be more "Sponsored By..." rubbish?

2) Are we going to get a look at an actual PS4 unit? Price? Firm launch date?

3) Does this bode well for a 2013 PS4 launch in Europe?

A couple factors supporting a more robust advertising showing is that only 4 days prior is MS' scheduled console reveal event on 5/21. If MS comes out showing off an actual unit & pricing structure (if only in broad strokes), then leveraging the fact that the CL Final is one of the most watched sporting events in the world in order to redirect attention away from MS and back onto the PS4 is a smart strategy. However, this backfires if MS comes out with a physical unveiling as well as other information consumers want to know, and Sony counters with only silly close-up shots of the damn controller.

Regardless, it'll serve as a great ramp-up in hype leading into E3 a little more than two weeks after.

Thoughts?

Loading poll...
X

forgot?

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.
Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_5353_tracker