Slow PSN Downloads?

Updated 1/23/2013

Apparently threads get auto closed after some time, a bit strange, but I thought I'd check back in on this thread and mention that for whatever reason, my download speeds have increased significantly at my house. No changes to my network or service, just a sudden, stark increase in speeds. I don't know what to attribute it to (maybe heavy holiday PSN congestion?), but I'm loving it. A 430MB patch for 'Smart As' was measured in mere minutes rather than the hours I would have expected below.

Had wanted to ask if others had noticed anything similar, but again, this forum is apparently closed.

---

New Vita owner here looking to fill the 32gb card they got with a plethora of games. However, I found out the hard way that the Vita seemingly has low quality DSL-like speeds when it comes to downloading and was curious if there was anything I could do on my end to alleviate this, or if it was simply something Vita owners deal with.

Googling the issue doesn't provide a whole lot; most threads start with a question similar to mine and quick end with a bunch of 'Yea, me too!' or 'LOL DONT USE CRAPPY INTERWEBS!', the latter certainly not being the case for me. Using my 3G vita, getting even one game (Uncharted for example) via Wi-Fi would have likely taken around 12-18 hours, let alone all of the PS+ freebies. It is using the same WiFi (n rated) that my PS3 and X360 do (both are wired via Ethernet coming from a switch that is in turn hooked to a Wireless N gaming adapter). I finally gave up on hour 2 having not even cleared 300MB and went to my PS3 to download it. Within an hour (wasn't watching it) all 6 PS+ games were done.

In an effort to remove my home internet from the equation, I also ran the Vita off of a 4G hotspot which has served me very well when the cable goes out and that too offered nearly identical results. Very disappointing.

I could go ahead and try the 3G service, but I'm all too familiar with ATT 3G here at work (our sole service provider for over 200 devices) and I wouldn't wish that upon anyone.

Is my experience that out of the ordinary or is this just something I have to deal with? Kind of sucks not to be able to update the library on the go; I now continue to manage my library exclusively from my PS3. The PS3 itself used to have pretty terrible download speeds (back when I got it in 09) but that seemed to improve with time. Perhaps the same will come for the Vita?

X

forgot?

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_5353_tracker