What Nintendo implied with today's Nintendo Direct

First of all... I've been a Wii U owner since Day 1, but as much as I like the console, I absolutely abhor how Nintendo handled the Wii backwards compatibility. It doesn't live up to the standards that we're used to.

For those of you that don't know or haven't tried it yet, the way this is handled is that instead of having the WiiWare / Virtual Console titles you've transfered into the Wii U neatly alongside Wii U games and software, they're stuck inside a crappy Virtual Machine. To make matters worse, it takes about a minute to boot the WiiVirtualMachine, and you can't use any of the new features from the Wii U.

With today's announcement, Nintendo said that we'll be able to download "WiiU VC" for a fee.
This means that the crappy WiiVirtualMachine will be forever crappy and stuck inside it's own shell. I had hopes that Nintendo would at least place shortcuts for WiiWare titles in the Wii U Menu, but now I know that they'll charge at least 1.00 / 1.50 USD for the priviledge.

To make matters worse, the lack of mention about 3DS / Wii U Virtual Console synchronization is maddening. I'd love to play the NES / SNES games I purchased on the Wii on my 3DS. Hell, I'd even pay a "small fee" for it, but it doesn't look likely that they'll fix this soon.

*sigh*

X

forgot?

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.
Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_5353_tracker