The Wii U is going to pull a 3DS.

I know there are new systems coming from Microsoft and Sony, but do people not realize what Nintendo has coming? They have confirmed 3D Mario, Mario Kart, and Smash Bros. Those are three of the most popular franchises of all time, which are obviously Nintendo exclusive.

This fall, when the Wii U's library all the sudden looks pretty great (Pikmin, Wonderful 101, Disney Infinity, Watch Dogs), and the Wii U is priced at least $100 below the new consoles, I fully expect the Wii U to fly off shelves.

Parents aren't going to spend $500+ just to get their kids the new Call of Duty. They are going to see the Wii U, which is cheaper and has a shiny new Mario Kart, and go with that.

Dont underestimate the power of Nintendo's exclusives.

Updated to further prove my point:

At this point, the Wii U has sold approximately 4 million units. Considering the lineup of titles, I would call that a runaway success. Here's some of the top Wii U games currently on the market:

1. Mass Effect 3 (inferior version and very dated)
  2. Need For Speed: Most Wanted (another late port)
  3. Assassins Creed 3
  4. New Super Mario Bros U
  5. Monster Humter 3 Ultimate (another re-release)
  6. Lego City Undercover (6 monthly after launch)
  7. Black Ops 2
  8. Nintendoland (more of a tech demo than a game)

I could list more, but I think the point is clear - there is not a single system-seller on that whole list and Nintendo has still managed to sell 4 million consoles. The interest is clearly there, but the killer games are sorely lacking. Reimagine that list with a 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, and Pikmin on it, and all the sudden the console's perception looks very different. And that's not even mentioning an HD Zelda, Metroid, and F-Zero (probably all in 2014).
That being said, I'm not expecting the Wii U to suddenly dominate the industry. I just think its going to enjoy better days ahead and have a nice long life.

X

forgot?

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_5353_tracker