I've spent a lot of time researching. After going through quite a few forums, I have come up with a refined logic for my build.
I can almost certainly undercut my previous budget: From the builds I've been looking through, it's been giving off the vibe that if you're not spending $1000 on your PC, you'll need an upgrade real soon. However, I think that I can certainly disregard that. Even my original $800-$900 budget may not be necessary.
I'm not yet ready to go into "full PC gaming experience" mode yet: I won't be overclocking. I'm not going for high-end parts, because the challenge to be top-notch is never-ending. I'm more on the budget end, but still want to play many modern games on medium-to-high settings (I have my eyes on Project CARS in particular, for now).
I will probably spend most of the time with this build playing Gaming (PC/PS2 emulator - Oh I already own the real thing, calm down) but also programming, which isn't very intensive on a computer anyway.
Based on these use cases, I have used PcPartPicker to list the following:
Currently at a price of: $756.89
My problem: I'm almost positive that I've done something wrong here. Can I really fit all that power into such a small package? I know the video card fits with 2 inches to spare... but what about that PSU? Is that too big? I'm not really sure. Is i5 best for this kind of build? Is an AMD processor not enough?
I have no interest in next-gen consoles, If I'm honest. I want to go PC later this year, but I'm fairly noobish at this.
There are some things that I'm pretty sure this thing will have:
- Intel i5-3570K (you know, the norm, right?)
- 8 GB RAM
- 2 HDD's (I already have an old 160gb with no OS installed. I'm thinking another 500gb?)
- Budget? I'd say around $800 to $900.
My questions regard the following:
- With the stuff I plan on putting in, is using a Mini-ITX case actually a good idea? Will I feel obligated to get a fan with this thing?
- No Plans for an SSD yet - Yes yes, faster. Still, I'd rather deal with cheaper for right now.
- DVD-ROM - There are some PS2 and Wii games I would still like to play and idk how i'd feel about just downloading the games off of a site (and yes, both consoles are actually in my house). I suppose this is a more moral issue than anything.
- And then there's the issue that I have no clue what motherboard, graphics card, or PSU to get.
If you guys and gals would like to help, I'd appreciate it.