Oh, Surprise! Someone Needs Help With a PC Build! (Update! a Parts List)

UPDATE:

I've spent a lot of time researching. After going through quite a few forums, I have come up with a refined logic for my build.

I can almost certainly undercut my previous budget: From the builds I've been looking through, it's been giving off the vibe that if you're not spending $1000 on your PC, you'll need an upgrade real soon. However, I think that I can certainly disregard that. Even my original $800-$900 budget may not be necessary.

I'm not yet ready to go into "full PC gaming experience" mode yet: I won't be overclocking. I'm not going for high-end parts, because the challenge to be top-notch is never-ending. I'm more on the budget end, but still want to play many modern games on medium-to-high settings (I have my eyes on Project CARS in particular, for now).

I will probably spend most of the time with this build playing Gaming (PC/PS2 emulator - Oh I already own the real thing, calm down) but also programming, which isn't very intensive on a computer anyway.

Based on these use cases, I have used PcPartPicker to list the following:

• CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (The Quad-Core CPU is necessary for the Emulation)
  • Motherboard: ASRock H77M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard
  • Memory: Corsair XMS 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
  • Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
  • Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card
  • Case: Lian-Li PC-Q25B Mini ITX Tower Case (OHMIGOSH SO SMEXY)
  • Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply
  • Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit)

Currently at a price of: $756.89

My problem: I'm almost positive that I've done something wrong here. Can I really fit all that power into such a small package? I know the video card fits with 2 inches to spare... but what about that PSU? Is that too big? I'm not really sure. Is i5 best for this kind of build? Is an AMD processor not enough?

_________________________________________________________________________________

ORIGINAL:

I have no interest in next-gen consoles, If I'm honest. I want to go PC later this year, but I'm fairly noobish at this.

There are some things that I'm pretty sure this thing will have:

• Intel i5-3570K (you know, the norm, right?)
    • 8 GB RAM
    • 2 HDD's (I already have an old 160gb with no OS installed. I'm thinking another 500gb?)
    • Budget? I'd say around $800 to $900.

My questions regard the following:

• With the stuff I plan on putting in, is using a Mini-ITX case actually a good idea? Will I feel obligated to get a fan with this thing?
    • No Plans for an SSD yet - Yes yes, faster. Still, I'd rather deal with cheaper for right now.
    • DVD-ROM - There are some PS2 and Wii games I would still like to play and idk how i'd feel about just downloading the games off of a site (and yes, both consoles are actually in my house). I suppose this is a more moral issue than anything.
    • And then there's the issue that I have no clue what motherboard, graphics card, or PSU to get.

If you guys and gals would like to help, I'd appreciate it.

X

forgot?

Please choose a new Polygon username and password

As part of the new Polygon launch, prior users will need to choose a permanent username, along with a new password.

Your username will be used to login to Polygon going forward.

I already have a Vox Media account!

Verify Vox Media account

Please login to your Vox Media account. This account will be linked to your previously existing Eater account.

Please choose a new Polygon username and password

As part of the new Polygon launch, prior MT authors will need to choose a new username and password.

Your username will be used to login to Polygon going forward.

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.
    Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_5353_tracker