Do you even want to use Windows?

Hey, this post is pretty old by now. I welcome all discussion but just know you may not get many responses anymore.

Hold your horses. I have a Mac and PC and work with both OSs every day. I understand they both have strengths and weaknesses. I was raised on Windows 3.1 all the way up to XP before even getting a taste of Macintosh. I got a MacBook Pro in 2009 (I couldn't find a better PC for college) and it's still a good computer.

I was thinking it was about time to get a new laptop soon so I've been researching and discovered something. I go to Windows by default but have no real interest in it except applications that work better, like most games. So, my question in a longer form is, if all games ran equally well regardless of OS and you didn't have hardware/software restrictions (you can run Windows/Mac/Linux on whatever hardware you want) which OS would you prefer?

More nerd bait. Please feel free to ignore.

I study video production and graphics in college. I work a lot in Photoshop/ After Effects/ Premiere/ Pro Tools. I also work in the computer labs. I have tried those programs on comparable hardware across OSs. To me, it seems that in Windows, they run worse. To be specific, the test computers were some new iMacs and last years fatter iMacs, and some custom built monster PCs in the "gaming lab." Running premiere seems to be pretty good across all platforms but the rendering seems to be a bit better on Mac. The PCs are no slouch and you don't hit any hiccups until I've got about 3-4 1080p videos stacked up or I'm color keying but they're there. That's not to say the playback is always smoother though. Photoshop always feels just a little more responsive on Mac and After Effects doesn't feel snappy on anything.

The idea is that Windows is no more suited to games than Mac or even Linux, just that's where most gamers have been therefore no one bothers to develop gaming software for it and drivers are not as optimized. So I'm thinking some of the diehard Windows fans are only there as a matter of circumstance and not really preferring the OS's setup at all. Windows 8.1 is cool but I still don't prefer it to OSX. One of my only draws to it is PC gaming, which my Windows 7 build still does fine with.

X

forgot?

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.
Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_5353_tracker