How To Attack Your Backlog of Games

Hey Polynauts,

I imagine that I'm not alone in pondering how to handle my backlog of games. As someone who has only been in the PC gaming world for about 6 months, I've had a LOT of catching up to do. To say the very least, I have gone slightly mad with game purchases due to the crazy sales PC games tend to have.

HERE IS MY APPROACH: DIVIDE AND CONQUER

Divide:

I suppose there are different ways to divide. I decided to group games by when I purchased them. I don't have a specific number of games per group, just 5-10 that seem to be a nice mix of newer and older.

Other ideas that you could use for dividing are to divide by release date, however, it may not be as enjoyable playing a bunch of older games without playing a few newer games in between.

Conquer:

I'm taking on these groups of games one at a time. Within these groups, I do my best to focus on one game, sometimes two. If I have two games on the go at the same time, I'm sure to go with two different genres.

When I get to a game that I just can't enjoy, and the thought of spending 10 hours (or whatever it may be), I just accept that it's not going to happen. I cut my losses and move on, BUT I give EVERY game a chance before I decide.

Within each group, I leave my most anticipated game until the end of the group so that I have something to look forward to when I'm playing the less desirable games.

Additional Rules:

-I have decided that I'm putting a halt on buying anything new until I only have a couple groups of games left, with the exception of the odd game that I REALLY want. Regardless of being on sale, I'm not buying anything that I don't really want.

WHAT I'M LEARNING FROM THIS EXPERIENCE:

-I've purchased a few games that I regret. Thankfully, I've only come across a couple that I've given up on, and most of that short list are simply games from things like Humble Bundle that I only have because I wanted another game from the bundle. However, it's obvious that I've made some impulse purchases and I'm trying to learn not to make that mistake in the future.

-There are games that I bought which I still haven't played... and now they're available for much less money. The lesson here is that it doesn't make sense to buy a game when you won't be playing it any time soon, unless it's an older game and it's on for 75% off. Otherwise, the regular price may drop (if it's newer) and you will definitely be able to get it for at least 50-75% off by the time you actually get around to playing it.

-Besides being a waste of money, a poor purchasing decision can also be a waste of time. As I'm learning now, I've purchased games that I'm almost forcing myself to play, since I paid for it already. If it's really unenjoyable, I cut my losses, but there are some games that I play that are merely mediocre. Why? Because I'm teaching myself a lesson the hard way, haha.

WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE?

-I'll stop buying games until I catch up, with a few special exceptions.

-I'll read reviews, check Metacritic, and even check howlongtobeat.com so I know what I'm in for.

HOW ARE YOU APPROACHING (OR NOT APPROACHING) YOUR BACKLOG OF GAMES?

Loading poll...
X

forgot?

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

Spinner

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_5353_tracker